Ratatouille with Fusilli

Last night, trying to be healthy and kind to my stomach, I decided to make a healthy family favorite: ratatouille. My mom always comments that ratatouille is a fantastic dish because not only is it tasty, but it's a great way to eat a lot of vegetables. How right she is!

Now, I know that I usually take step by step photographs documenting my cooking, but I'm so sorry to tell you that I forgot! I had napped for several hours before cooking so I think I was still sort of half asleep. Sorry!!!

Ingredients:
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 squash, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 eggplant, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 red onion, diced
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- handful basil, chopped
- salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, to taste
- fusilli pasta (how much is up to you)
- grated parmesan cheese

1. Prep your zucchini, squash, and eggplant and place in a bowl filled with salt water. (This is a trick I learned from my mom.) By soaking these veggies, the salt will extract any bitterness from these veggies. It works! Trust me! Once your other veggies are ready, drain.

2. While the zucchini, squash, and eggplant are soaking, prepare the tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, and basil.

3. In a relatively deep saucepan, heat olive oil and cooking the garlic. Once your garlic is browned, add your vegetables in steps. You don't want to overwhelm you pan. Stir as best as you can. Put lid on pot and allow vegetables to soften, maybe 5 minutes? Once the first 5 minutes are up, mix the veggies. Repeat this process until you vegetables soften and your ratatouille develops a lovely tomato-y broth. Total time 15-20 min? (I wasn't really timing to be honest...)

4. Season. Essentially, at this point its up to you. If you want harder vegetables, don't cook for a long time, but if you want really soft veggies like me, just repeat step 3 until you are happy with you result.
5. Once the ratatouille is cooked, let simmer and cook pasta. If you want, you can add the chopped basil now. To be honest, I completely forgot! (It was still really tasty)

6. Once pasta is ready, serve ratatouille and pasta. I like a bit of parmesan cheese. Yum!

Simple. Healthy. Delicious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life