Nothing Says "Study Break" Like Baking Brownies!

Sometimes too much studying can really overload your brain and you just need to get away. After several hours of studying biology this weekend, I needed a break....so I retreated to the kitchen. One of the reasons why I love to cook/bake is that it's an escape. Some people relieve stress by going to the gym or shopping, I busy myself in the kitchen. Half the time, I'm not cooking because I am hungry, but rather, I am cooking for fun. I love to try new recipes and I love sharing...if my recipes come out well and taste good. If they are no good...they never see the light of day.

So, this weekend I tried my hand at brownies. I am going to admit something here, I have never actually baked brownies, but I've eaten an awful lot! To be honest, I had three reasons for baking brownies: 1) I needed a study break, 2) I was curious about trying a new recipe, and 3) I was meeting my new postbac friend "M" in the library tomorrow so he could help me finish my chemistry post lab assignment. (I baked them as a thank you).

I must say, they weren't perfect, but they were freaking delicious. Not bad for a first attempt. My brownies ended up being soft and not as fluffy as I would've wanted, but the chocolate content was DELIGHTFUL!

M was like, "Did you make these from scratch? They're sooo good!" He couldn't stop eating them! I gave him a container with about 8 brownies thinking he'd share with his two roommates...but at the rate he was enjoying them, I don't know that his roomies ever saw the brownies. Haha. As you can imagine, I was elated that he enjoyed them so much! As much as I enjoy living on my own, when it comes to trying recipes, it can get a bit tricky because most recipes are not designed for one person; I always have too much food! Well, I guess if I experiment with more recipes in the future, I know who I can share with!

I was also pleased by how easy the recipe was! I made some modifications, but if any of you like to eat and/or bake brownies, here is my new recipe.

Easy Chocolatey Goodness Brownies:
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

2. Prepare and 8x8 in baking pan by lightly spraying with cooking spray or greasing with butter. Line with parchment paper. Prepare other ingredients.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in granulated sugar and brown sugars. Lower heat and stir in buttermilk and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips. Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the butter mixture until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
5. Pour into prepared brownie pan and spread evenly. 
6. Bake for about 25~30 min or until the center is no longer liquid-y.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life