Daddy's Chicken Soup

This past week, I was plagued with a very iffy stomach. I think it was anxiety about coursework, but my hyperacidity was back with a fury! I was feeling uncomfortable because although I would eat, I felt unsatisfied and hungry, although mentally I knew that I wasn't hungry. It's a really unpleasant experience. Sometimes, even if I was really truly hungry, I wouldn't eat anything because I couldn't tell if it was real or not. Does that make sense? 

Anyway, the week was long and my stomach was uncooperative, so yesterday, I finally found the time to make the mother of all sickness cures: chicken soup. This isn't just any chicken soup, but my dad's recipe. It's very healthy, thick, and satisfying. I'm already feeling better! 

Ingredients: 
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat stripped and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup barley (dry)
- 1/2 cup split green peas (dry)
- 1/2 cup lentils (dry)
- soy sauce, to taste
- pepper, to taste

Directions: 
1. Chop up all the vegetables.
2. Measure out the lentils, split pea, and barley. 
3. Add the lentils, split peas, and barley into a pot. 
4. Add the vegetables on top of the lentils, split peas, and barley. 
5. For extra flavor, add bits of the chicken carcass and chicken skin to the pot. Add a bit of chicken meat, but don't add all of it. If you add the chicken too early, it will just disintegrate. 
6. Add enough water to cover everything in the pot. Actually, I'd add a bit more water, since the veggies and dried goods may absorb a lot. 

7. Bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to LOW and let simmer for 3-4 hours. 
8. After about 2-3 hours (basically one hour before you're going to turn the heat off), add the rest of the chicken. 

9. Flavor the soup with soy sauce, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you might want. Make sure your soup taste yummy! 
10. After about 3-4 hours, voila! you're done! Now you have delicious, hearty, and healthy chicken soup!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life