My Favorite Omlette

Yesterday morning, rather than getting up at 6:30/7 am, as I usually do during the week, I slept in until 9 am! What a luxury! It was nice to get up naturally with sunshine, rather than grumble and start my day hating my alarm. Rather than jump out of bed, I just laid there, enjoying the morning. I was also contemplating what to have for breakfast.

For the past couple of months, I spent the weekends at home in NJ, so this weekend was the first time in about 2 months (at least) that I woke up in my apartment on a Saturday! Surely this occasion needed to be commemorated with a nice breakfast. During the week, because I am up so early, I don't eat much. I pay for this in the middle of lecture, but hey, what can you do? In addition to coffee, I usually eat a 6 oz container of yogurt and/or a piece of fruit. I was determined to make a nice brunch that differed from my weekly breakfast.

Finally forcing myself out of bed, I made my way to the kitchen to inspect my fridge. After a few minutes, it was clear that today would be an omelette morning...but not just ANY omelette...my FAVORITE omelette. I love Italian food and I enjoy caprese salads. I love the combination of mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. (I should admit that I a massive mozzarella fiend!) I love caprese salads so much, I like to make omelettes using those ingredients, and sometimes I throw in other ingredients....depends on mood. Today, I decided to add some sauteed onions. Yum!

"Caprese Omelette"
(serves 2~3)
- 4 eggs
- handful of cherry tomatoes (or more if you want), quartered
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- fresh mozzerella, about a 1/2 cup chopped
- handful of basil, chopped
- olive oil

Instructions:
1. Prepare the onion, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella.

2. Heat a nonstick pan with olive oil and sauté the onions until they turn soft. Once the onions are soft, add tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are soft. Put aside in bowl and mix in basil/mozzarella. Really mix everything together.
my onions, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella

3. Crack eggs and scramble in separate bowl. 

4. Quickly rinse frying pan and heat  more olive oil. While pan is still cold, add scrambled raw egg to pan. By starting the eggs in a cold pan, this will allow the omelette to heat evenly.
5. On medium low heat, allow the bottom on the omelette to solidify. Give it several minutes, you want a secure bottom. After about 4-5 minutes, using a spatula, check to see how solid the bottom of the omelette is. You may also want to swirl the pan so as to cook of any runny egg in the center. 

6. Once the bottom of your egg is solid, add the onions/tomatoes/basil/mozzarella. Spread as evenly as possibly. Allow the mixture to sit on the egg for a moment, then gently and carefully fold omelette.
I was a bit premature in my folding

7. Allow any runny egg on the inside to cook. Also, for nice coloring, let your omelette sit in the pan for a few minutes. Be careful flipping it!

This omelette was utterly delicious (if I do say so myself) and I enjoyed every bite. It was sooo big that I even had some for lunch! Caprese Omelette, you come through yet again! ;D






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life