Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

I am fairly impressionable --- at least when it comes to cooking. When I see a recipe or a dish that intrigues me, I become obsessed and determine to give it a go. I have been obsessively watching Come Dine With Me for at least one month and a dish that keeps popping up is: Potato Dauphionoise. I've eaten this side dish a couple times in my life, but not recently. It looked so delicious and easy to make, and I was determined to try my hand at this posh looking side.

As per usual, I consulted the internet to look for recipes. As most of you know, I am obsessed with Gordon Ramsay. He is always my go to. If he doesn't have a recipe for something I want to make, I'm always feel a little lost, but luckily, that wasn't the case this time. I was delighted to have stumbled upon Gordon Ramsay's "Gratin Dauphonoise." He has yet to let me down and you know what, this dish was a winner! Something that I am adding to my repertoire. 

This dish was incredibly easy to make and bake! (It was also a lot of fun). If you are having a dinner party or just want to try a new potato side dish, I highly recommend these Dauphinoise. My one warning though: if you are working with a mandolin to slice to potatoes, BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FINGERS! I had the misfortune of slicing my finger on the mandolin and it was a rather unpleasant experience. No blood got into my potatoes, but it still hurt! 

Ingredients:
- 2 lb of potatoes (I used yukon), peeled and sliced 
- 400 mL of heavy cream
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
1. If you plan to bake immediately, preheat oven to about 400F. If you want to assemble now and bake later, which is what I did, just preheat when you are ready to bake.

2. Combine half and half, garlic, and bay leaves into a saucepan. Let the cream simmer until you see bubbling along the side of the pan. Once you see this, take off heat and allow cream to cool. 
3. Peel and slice your potatoes with a mandolin, if you have it. Otherwise, I guess cut as thinly as possible! (Be careful of your fingers!) 
4. Prepare your baking dish by spraying with PAM or equivalent cooking spray. 
5. Cover the bottom of the pan with some shredded cheese. 
6. Layer the potatoes on top of the cheese. Allow the potatoes to overlap slightly. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Add another layer of shredded cheese. Repeat until all of the potatoes used. 
7. Once the potatoes and cheese are assembled. Check to see that the cream has cooled slightly. Drain the cream, removing the garlic and bay leaves. 
8. Cover the potatoes with the half and half. You want them just covered and moist --- not drowning. Depending on your baking dish, you may not  need all of the sauce.
9. Once your Potato Dauphinoise is ready for the oven, allow it to bake for about 30 ~ 45 minutes. You want your top to be crispy and you want to be able to pierce the potatoes with a knife, making sure the knife goes through easily. 
Et Voila! Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Comments

  1. yes! making this on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it very nices dish yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Do you know if this dish can be prepped and frozen for 1 or 2 days until ready to bake? I want to make this for thanksgiving but we are having ours out of town this year and would like to have it prepped before we arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would suggest you to prep the potato slices first, since you can easily do the liquid as soon as you are back in kitchen. while the liquid is heating up, you can quickly line the cheese and potatoes..

      Delete
  4. For a great trust alternate potatoes and Turnip layers and top with chive

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did you use the olive oil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life