Who Said Oatmeal Has To Be Boring?

Recently, I have been trying to eat healthy. Sometimes, I slip, but I'm human...I make mistakes. Still, I have been pretty good about starting my day off right. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I have class from 9 am - 11:05 am, Monday-Thursday, I start my day with a fortifying breakfast of oatmeal, blueberries, and coffee and/or tea.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't LOVE oatmeal. I tolerate it, but there is something sort of blah and boring about it to me. Despite this, I decided, "be good, be healthy, and give oatmeal a second chance." To make my breakfasts more enticing, I forced myself to get creative. Here are two oatmeal recipes that I really enjoy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Savory Oatmeal (Spinach, Corn, and Egg Whites)
Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Quaker Quick Cooking Oats 
- 1.5 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cup spinach (you can add or subtract, depending on how much you want)
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
*You can add other frozen veggies. One time I added frozen okra. 

1. Boil 1.5 cup water. Add a pinch of salt. 
2. Once the water is boiled, add the oats and let cook for about 5 minutes. Also add corn.
3. Since spinach cooks pretty quickly, I add it when there are about 2 minutes left on my timer.
4. Once the 5 minutes are up, stir in the egg whites. Let the oatmeal cook for another minute or two; until the egg whites are cooked. 
5. I really like soy sauce, so I like to add some to my oatmeal for flavor
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sweet Oatmeal (Raisins and Maple Syrup)
Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Quaker Quick Cooking Oats 
- 1.5 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (to taste)


1. Boil 1.5 cup water. Add a pinch of salt. 
2. Once the water is boiled, add the oats and let cook for about 5 minutes. Also add raisins.
3. Once oatmeal is cooked, drizzle with maple syrup or honey.

I pretty much alternate between the two. If I am in the mood for a sweet breakfast, I make the raisin oatmeal. If I am in the mood for something not so sweet, something a bit salty, I make the savory oatmeal. So far I am a satisfied customer. Breakfast is delicious and it holds me for most of the day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life