Chicken Tikka or Chicken Marinara?

A few weeks ago I was home and decided that since I had time on my hands, I'd make some meals that I could could freeze and eat on a day where I was too busy to cook. 

I really really love Indian food and am always looking for good recipes. I really love Chicken Tikka Masala, but I've always been too intimidated to make it. It seems kind of complicated, but more importantly, it's sort of high in calories.

While perusing the web, I came across a Weight Watchers version of Chicken Tikka cooked in a slow cooker. I've had a lot of success with WW recipes in the past, so I thought, "why not?!" Well, I followed the recipe, but I did not get a nice creamy chicken curry...I got a chicken marinara... 

Although I'm not sure why I got marinara and not tikka, the recipe was still quite tasty. Also, it's easy to make because you essentially throw all of the ingredients into a crock pot and let it cook for 3 hours or so.

Ingredients:
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), minced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, freshly chopped (optional) 

Excluding the yogurt and cilantro, combine all ingredients into crock pot and let it cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Once the 3 hours are up, add the yogurt and cilantro.
ingredients 
after I cut up the chicken thighs, I seasoned them with salt and pepper
the canned tomatoes in the crock pot
when cooking with my slow cooker, I like to brown my meat first. I think it makes the meat taste better than just throwing it in raw. 
chicken, tomato puree, and onions in
everything mixed together
done and ready to be frozen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life