Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Fried Rice

As I may have mentioned previously, I am currently studying calculus. This has been a most unpleasant experience. As a former history major and historian at heart, I knew that calculus would not be easy, but this is ridiculous. I'm not going to rant here, but let's just say, my instructor, a 2nd year PhD student, has no idea what he is doing. Unfortunately, I am paying dearly for his inexperience and inability to explain the matieral. (Trust me, this isn't just my opinion. Most of my class has admitted that my instructor is terrible.)

Anyway, that's not the point. Since I've been spending all of my time studying, I haven't had much time to cook! How tragic! Living in Manhattan, it's really easy to order take out, but I try not to do that. I have two major reasons: trying to be economical and what little cooking I can do, is a great respite from all of those numbers. Even if it's as simple as chopping veggies for a salad for sauteeing something, that break is something I really look forward to. Lately it's been really fast and easy dishes on the menu. That said, I do try to stay healthy and try to use up stuff sitting in my fridge.

My most recent dinner? I had lots of veggies and some old chicken sausages, so I made fried rice. A oldie, but a goodie.

Ingredients:
*these portions can really vary depending on how much you have and/or want to use up

- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 chicken sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- broccoli, about 1 cup chopped
- baby spinach (as much as you want, just remember, that spinach shrinks when cooked!)
- 1 cup rice (up to you what kind) 
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- soy sauce
- salt/pepper, to taste
- cooking spray

What To Do:
Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray. Cook egg whites under medium heat. Scramble. Once egg whites are scrambled, place into a separate bowl. Rinse pan. 
Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, sautee the chopped peppers, onions, garlic, and broccoli until soft.
Once peppers, onions, and broccoli are soft, add spinach and chicken sausage. Sautee until spinach in cooked. 
Once all vegetables and chicken sausage are cooked, add the rice and egg whites to the pan. Make sure to mix in the rice so that is distributes relatively equally. Add soy sauce, pepper, whatever you'd like! 
Once everything is mixed, you are done! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life