Umeya: A Taste of Japan in NJ

This weekend, I decided to come home. As a treat, my parents decided to take me to our favorite Japanese restaurant: Umeya in Cresskill, NJ. We have been coming to Umeya for literally as long as I can remember. (about 21 years..if I did my math right...) The owners, a husband and wife, started off as my father's patients. My dad has known them since they were caterers, before they opened their restaurant.
Hard at work 

As I said, my family have been coming to Umeya for 21 years, and there is a reason for that. Hands down, the best Japanese food in Bergen County. If you live in Northern NJ and you love Japanese food, THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO. The food is authentic, delicious, and most importantly, the sushi is sublime. The fish is as fresh as can be and Mr. Umeya's skill in preparing the sushi/sahsimi is awe-inspiring. He is a true professional. Before opening Umeya, he worked at a variety of sushi restaurants in both Japan and New York City. Another reason to go, both Mr. and Mrs. Umeya are lovely people and fun to chat with! 

Some meal highlights....
 For an appetizer, I ordered fried rick shrimp with some fried asparagus and red pepper. This was served with a spicy mayonnaise sauce.
For an appetizer, my dad ordered the simmered red snapper head. This is a very traditional and flavorful Japanese dish. 
 the fish looks delicious!
One of my favorite things to eat is "ama-ebi" or sweet shrimp. They are so sweet and juicy. These are huge! Can't wait to eat them! 
Not all Japanese restaurants do this, but I am delighted that Umeya does. Believe it or not, fried shrimp heads are DELICIOUS! Yum yum yum! 

If you are interested in visiting UMEYA or want more information, here is their website: http://www.umeyasushi.com/index.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life