The Woman in Gold and the Neue Galerie

After having breakfast at Cafe Sabarsky, E and I explored the Neue Galerie. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Neue Galeries specializes in 20th century German and Austrian art. It usually features the works of individuals like Adolf Loos or Egon Schiele. The building itself is really gorgeous and reminiscent of German Expressionism, with it's black and white color scheme.

Personally, Gustav Klimt is one of my all time favorite artists and the Neue Galerie has a fair amount of his works on display -- that's one of the reasons why I always enjoy visiting this art museum. 
Gustav Klimt and his cat

I have been trying to get to the Neue Galerie for months, ever since I learned about their "The Woman in Gold" exhibition. This special exhibit focuses around Gustav Klimt's iconic gold portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer and was launched to promote the Helen Mirren film of the same title.  
The exhibit wasn't very large, but it offered an impressive display of Klimt's art. Of course, the centerpiece was the portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, which stole the show. I can't adequately explain the beauty of this portrait, but I was mesmerized. She is just so stunning. Moreover, I found Klimt's use of gold and his unique imagery surround Adele Bloch-Bauer…it was absolutely stunning. I couldn't take my eyes off the the painting. I probably stared at the painting about about 10 minutes, studying it's style, colors, and motifs. I absolutely love this painting!
Print on display downstairs. You can take your picture with "The Woman in Gold."

We spent about 1.5 hours at the Neue Galerie. In addition to the "Woman in Gold" exhibition, we perused through the Neue Galerie's normal exhibits on Austrian art, Gustav Klimt, as well as their special exhibition on Russian and German art.

I am so glad that I was able to finally see Adele Blochman-Bauer's portrait with my own eyes, especially after seeing the Helen Mirren film. (The film was superb, by the way). There is something very cool about learning about a painting and then seeing it with your own eyes. Loved it! If you have time, I highly recommend checking out this exhibition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life