My Cousin and I Explore the High Line

A few weeks ago, my cousin E was visiting me in NYC. It was wonderful having her here and it provided me with an opportunity to explore this magnificent city with her. One afternoon, the weather was absolutely stunning, so I decided to take her to the "High Line." 

To quote Wikipedia: The High Line (also known as the High Line Park) is a 1.45 mile-long New York City linear park built in Manhattan on an elevated section of a disused New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line…It runs from Gansevoort Street --- three block below 14th Street --- in the Meatpacking District, through Chelsea, to the northern edge of the West Side Yard on 34th Street near the Javits Convention Center…The park's attractions include naturalized plantings that are inspired by the landscape that grew on the disused tracks, and views of the city and the Hudson River. The trail is made of pebble-dash concrete walkways that swells and constricts, swings from side to side, and divides into concrete tines that meld the hardscape with the planting embedded in railroad gravel mulch.  Basically, it is really beautiful and fun to explore. 

Since it was quite warm, we decided to indulge with something that would cool us off. There was a stand specializing in homemade ice pops and their menu looked scrumptious! We had the option of ice pops or shaved ice -- and both looked delicious. E and I were particularly impressed to see that the shaved ice was made manually --- as in, there was a guy and there was a giant block of ice, and he shaved it by hand. It was a tough decision, but we eventually decided upon the cherry limeade shaved ice for E and the nectarine ginger tea ice pop for me. Both were refreshing and very yummy!
My nectarine ginger tea ice pop

With our cool and refreshing treats purchased, E and I began to stroll along the High Line. Considering the sunshine and warm weather, I thought the High Line would be mobbed, however, I was surprised to see that we did not have to fight hoards of visitors. I mean, it was busy, but not insane. E and I enjoyed the views of Manhattan, the plants, the statues, and people watching. We also had fun just chatting about NYC, family, school, and life in general. 
Artsy cousins selfie
We strolled the High Line for about 1.5 hours and it was really lovely. We sat on a bench at one point and just schmoozed. Spent some quality cousin time together. Towards the end of our High Line journey, we came across a giant LEGO display. Neither of us were entirely sure why this was here, but we decided to play with the LEGOS. I mean, why not?! E and I were like little kids again.
After constructing some LEGO masterpieces, we decided to call it a day. We'd been walking for a while, and E had visited a museum in the morning before meeting me for lunch and the High Line, so we were both tired. It was time to go home and relax before dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life