Adventures at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

After spending the morning at the Neue Galerie,  E and I walked a few blocks over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This art museum is a New York City staple and it's massive. Frankly, one could spend an entire week at the Met, just seeing everything on display here!
The entrance

We didn't want to go overboard, but E and I both had things we wanted to see at the Met. As soon as we got there, we grabbed a map and began to hatch a plan. We both said what interested us and created a game plan that would allow us to see everything without leaving us exhausted. 
The lobby of the museum

E expressed an interest in seeing the European art, so that was the first area of the Met that we covered. I'll be honest, I'm not great when it comes to art. I appreciate a nice painting, but I'm not art historian. Also, I'm not very knowledgable about art --- but I know what I like.

As we wandered through the galleries, making our way deeper and deeper into the Met, we lost track of where we were. The number of galleries displaying paintings and the sheer volume of paintings on display --- it was overwhelming! We were probably there for about 45 minutes, but it felt much longer. We admired portraits, landscapes, religious paintings, and so much more! After a while, E and I agreed that all of the paintings started to look the same…and we began to get a bit bored. It was time to move on. 
European Art galleries

We found a bench in one of the atriums, sat for a bit, and decided where we wanted to go next. I was interested in checking out an exhibition on Japanese art and there was also a really cool exhibition going on that focused on Chinese culture, art, and fashion. After a short break, since we had been walking around the  European art gallery for a while, we made our way to the Asian art. 
Statue gallery we stumbled upon

Recreation of the Temple of Dendur 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life