Viennese Breakfast at Cafe Sabarsky

There are so many museums to visit in New York City and choosing where to visit is always tough. My cousin E wanted to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is a must see, however, I wanted to introduce her to one of my all time favorite museums: The Neue Galerie. The Neue Galerie is a "museum of early twentieth-century German and Austrian art and design located in the William Starr Miller House at 86th Street and Fifth Avenue in New York City." (Wikipedia). I'm not sure how well known the Neue Galerie is, but I like to visit whenever I can. 

E and I decided to meet on the Upper East Side for breakfast and then we would go to the Met. We originally intended to have brunch at Alice's Tea Cup, however it was not open, so we were forced to find a different venue. After wandering and making our way to the Met, it occurred to me, let's have brunch at Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie. I always enjoy my meals at Cafe Sabarsky, especially the apple strudel. Also, this was the perfect excuse to visit the Neue Galerie. 

I started my breakfast with a Kaiser Melange, which is coffee with whipped cream on top. The coffee was strong and the whipped cream was thick, and not too sweet. Heaven! 
My Kaiser Melange

For breakfast, E ordered the poached eggs with toasted brioche. We were both a bit surprised by the presentation of her dish. Neither of us had ever seen eggs served in a martini glass. Interesting and creative, but also really weird. E was saying that while her breakfast was yummy, the eggs were a bit undercooked -- that's never good. She did say that the brioche was delicious, which is a good sign!
E's poached eggs with brioche toast

I ordered the ham and eggs. It was simple, but delicious. The ham was nice and salty, which complemented the eggs, which were cooked beautifully. I really enjoyed my breakfast, which came with a side of toast. 
My Bavarian ham and eggs

Our meal at Cafe Sabarsky would not have been complete without an order of apfelstrudel. I love apples and anything made with apples, so I go nuts for apple strudel. Last time I was in Vienna, I enjoyed many apple strudel. It actually got to the point where I could tell what was good strudel and what wasn't very good. Thank goodness I was walking around everywhere! E and I enjoyed Cafe Sabarsky's apple strudel. It wasn't too sweet and the crust was nice and flaky. Absolute heaven! 
We shared an apple strudel with whipped cream

Overall, a really lovely way to start the day. Although it was a bummer that Alice's Tea Cup wasn't open, E and I still really enjoyed Cafe Sabarsky. The food was good and aesthetically, the restaurant was beautiful. It is designed to resemble a Viennese coffeehouse from the turn-of-the-century. It's a really beautiful place. If you ever have time, even if you just want a coffee, I highly recommend Cafe Sabarsky. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life