"China: Through the Looking Glass" Exhibition

On our visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, E and I stumbled upon the "China: Through the Looking Glass" Exhibition. We were on our way to the exhibit on Japanese art that I was interested in, but on the way, we were distracted by some rather modern and fantastical art pieces, as well as costumes. We weren't sure what we had encountered, but we were both intrigued. 

At first, we were drawn to these giant opaque sticks. We were both thinking, "WTF are these?" You know, I'm still not entirely sure I know what these are, but they looked cool. Reminded me of a fountain, but freeze framed. 

The "China: Through the Looking Glass" exhibition was mixed into the regular Chinese art exhibit, but somehow, this addition made the whole Chinese art gallery cooler. The walls were black, sleek, and futuristic. The way the costumes were displayed and the fantastical nature of them --- it made me think of the film Bladerunner. 
Something out of Bladerunner, methinks

We probably spent an hour wandering through the exhibition and we loved every second. We marveled at the beauty and creativity of the various gowns on display, wishing that some of them were in our closet!

Dress made entirely out of old porcelain china
Gorgeous haute couture gowns inspired by porcelain 
I would like this dress, please

By far the most exciting (and unexpected) part of the exhibit was running into former Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and fashion designed Marc Jacobs. While E and I were exploring the "China: Through the Looking Glass" exhibition, so were they! When E and I noticed them, we got very excited -- particularly E. I had promised her a celebrity sighting while she visited NYC and I delivered! E was so excited and shocked, that's all she talked about for the rest of the day! 
Celebrity sighting aside, the "China: Through the Looking Glass" exhibition was really cool and I loved it! The creativity displayed was awesome and quite inspiring. If you have time, interested in Chinese art, and/or fashion -- I highly recommend checking out this exhibit! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life