Presidential Debate Dinner

As most people know, October 3rd, was the beginning the presidential debates between President Obama and Governor Romney. Like many Americans, I tuned in. I'll be honest with you all, I am not a political person normally, but ever since this summer, I've begun to follow the election fairly closely. 
It's no fun watching a debate on an empty stomach, so I decided to cook myself a bit a dinner, to enjoy with Romney and Obama. 

Earlier in the day, I slathered some chicken thighs with my mom's incredible homemade "shiso miso." This paste is great for chicken and fish. I let the chicken thighs sit in the fridge for a couple of hours and then I fired up the oven. Once my oven was nice and warm, I let these thighs cook for about 30 minutes at 350F. 
getting ready for the oven
Voila! Delicious dinner! Shiso Miso chicken thighs, steamed green beans (mixed with soy sauce and sesame oil), and some multigrain rice. Well balanced and delicious! A wonderful accompaniment to a fascinating debate. 
For the Vice Presidential debate, I opted for Japanese food. This was the night before my biology midterm, so I was also a bit pressed for time. On the left, a salmon skin salad with salmon skin, tobiko, cucumbers, lettuce, seaweed salad, and ginger. This is my new favorite salad. On the right, my indulgent pork katsudon! (the dinner came with a miso soup. 

I look forward to watching the next two presidential debates...but more importantly, I wonder what lovely meal I will cook! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life