Buttermilk Channel Brunch

It's been a while since I have returned to Brooklyn, but a few weekends ago, I ventured forth and met "E" for brunch. I've been itching to get back to Brooklyn and after my biology/chemistry exams, this was a welcomed treat.

I know that brunch in Manhattan is like a religion, but I haven't been participating. Mostly because a) I don't like to wait on massive lines, b) I usually have a lot of homework that needs immediate attention, and c) I don't always have a brunch buddy --- I'm too embarrassed to eat alone. This weekend was different. I grabbed the F and within 20 minutes I was in Carroll Gardens waiting for E, so we could enjoy a lovely leisurely brunch. 

Originally E had given me two options: Colonie or Buttermilk Channel, both Brooklyn based restaurants. Let me tell you, the decision was difficult. E said that she had been to Colonie several times and that the food was very good. E had only been to Buttermilk Channel for dinner, but heard that the brunch was fantastic. Well, after much deliberation, I finally decided on Buttermilk Channel.
524 Court St, Brooklyn

This quaint little eatery is located in the lovely Carroll Gardens neighborhood and the etymology of this establishment is quite fascinating! To quote the restaurant's website: 
"Buttermilk Channel is the mile-long tidal straight between Brooklyn and Governor's Island. When the area was farmland, dairy farmers would cross by boat to sell their milk in Manhattan markets. Tidal currents in the channel were notoriously strong --- strong enough, some said, to churn the milk into butter. In another popular legend, one mentioned by Walt Whitman in his writing for The Brooklyn Eagle, Brooklyn farmers walked their cows across the channel at low tide to graze on Governors Island's abundant grass. Although Court Street seems pretty landlocked these days, the life of the neighborhood was once defined by the water, just a few blocks west. In the mid-19th century, the channel was dredged to accommodate the cargo ships that jammed New York's ports after the opening of the Erie Canal. Red Hook shipyards remained the dominant industry in the neighborhood until the 1950s. Today, Buttermilk Channel remains quite a busy shipping lane and is now home to the Queen Mary 2." 
a map of "The Buttermilk Channel" can be found on the back of the menu

E and I arrived early, maybe about a half hour after opening. Despite this, we still had to wait a short while for a table! After maybe a 5 minute wait, we were seated and ready to indulge. The brunch menu was so appetizing. A variety of scrambled eggs, granolas, pecan pie french toast, short rib hash...everything sounded amazing!
E decided on one of the scrambles, I however decided to order what I found to be the most outrageous item on the menu: Fried Pork Chop and Cheddar Waffles with Maple Syrup. This I have never seen on any menu, as thus, I felt obligated to order this dish. Let me say, sure it was a heart attack with every bite, but you know what?, it was a mouthwateringly delicious heart attack with every bite! The cheddar waffles weren't too cheesy and the pork chop was cooked to perfection. Soft and flavorful on the inside and oh so crispy on the outside! So so so amazing! 
my fried pork chop. the waffles are hidden underneath
as a snack, E ordered a banana walnut sticky bun. I had a taste and it was really yummy!

Overall, this was a finger licking good meal! Everything tasted phenomenal, the restaurant was really adorable, and the wait staff was fantastic! I highly recommend "The Buttermilk Channel" to everyone. You will not be disappointed. In fact, I'm already counting down to my next visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life