A Taste of Fall: Steel-Cut Pumpkin Oatmeal

Happy October everyone! I will be the first to declare, I am soooo happy that summer is over and we are in fall-mode! I detest hot weather, so I am delighted that I require a sweater and/or coat during the day and that rather than A/C to keep me cool at night, all I have to do is open my window! Huzzah for cool weather! 

Now, what better way to celebrate FALL than with a classic fall flavor: pumpkin. I know this isn't particularly, original, but I adore everything pumpkin! Be it coffee, cakes, spice....anything...if it has pumpkin in it, I am sold!

Trying to be healthy as always, over the weekend, I searched the net for new and delicious oatmeal recipes. I was really excited to find so many that featured pumpkin. Not knowing the best way to choose a recipe, I sort of did "eenie meenie minie mo."

I'll be perfectly honest with you, this wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped it would be, but it was still tasty. I thought it lacked a bit in taste. I personally have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I thought it lacked sweetness. Never mind, I remedied this problem by adding a bit more maple syrup to my individual serving. 

Ingredients:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- pinch of clove
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Directions:
1. Boil 3 cups of water. Once boiling, add the steel cut oats.

2. Turn heat down to low and put lid on pot. Mix occasionally to ensure that the oats don't stick to the bottom. Let oats cook for 20 ~ 30 minutes.
3. One the water is absorbed by the oats, turn off heat. 
4. Add pumpkin puree, spices, and maple syrup.
4. Serve warm. You can also pack this into containers to save, which is what I did. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life