Fresh Homemade Chunky Applesauce

So, I was at the grocery store and I was hit with this overwhelming urge to make applesauce. Where did this urge come from? No idea. Was I glad that it came? Absolutely.

I selected six very nice looking “honey crisp” apples, as well as some raisins and craisins. The sort of sad part is, I got so busy with homework and studying, that I took me a week to make the applesauce simply because I didn’t have time!

One day, I looked at those sad apples, sitting in the fruit bowl, neglected, and I thought, “DAMMIT! I am going to make applesauce!” And that’s exactly what I did.

This is a really easy recipes taught to me by my mother, and I used to make this in my dorm at Bryn Mawr! At Bryn Mawr, I used to go “shopping” (bring Tupperware and a large bag) by taking several apples, raisins from the salad bar, and sugar/splenda packets from the tea/coffee station. My friends were mortified when I went “shopping” and refused to associate with me afterwards.

The main piece of technology that you need for this applesauce is in fact a microwave! (Something all of the dorms have several of). Cool, right? You may be thinking, “a microwave? For applesauce?”, but trust me, it’s all you need and if you follow this recipe, you will be feasting on delicious chucky fresh homemade applesauce!

Easy & Delicious Chunky Applesauce 
(requires a microwave)
[I made a really big portion, it probably serves about 6]
-       6 apples (cut into bite size pieces)
Note: I like honey crisps or pink ladies. I think they taste the best and hold up the best.
-       1 cup raisins
-       ½ cup craisins
-       sugar/splenda, to taste
 
Directions:
1. Prepare the apples by peeling and cutting into bite size pieces. I like my applesauce to be really chunky, so my pieces are a bit big, but it’s totally up to your own discretion. You can have big pieces or small pieces.
2. Once all of your apples are cut, place into a large bowl. Add raisins/craisins. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the microwave. I cooked my applesauce in the microwave for about 25 minutes, but I did it in 5 minute increments. So, I let it cook for 5 minutes, took the bowl out to stir the apples, returned it to the microwave. (I just did the math….it’s 5 times).
 
***Now, depending on how many apples you cut or what kind of apples you used, this time could vary. I essentially cook the apples until they are nice and soft, but not totally disintegrated --- I don’t want it looking like Mott’s applesauce.***

3. At this point, if you find the applesauce too tart, add the sweetener of your choice, until the applesauce is just right!

This applesauce lasted me about 1 week. I ate it for breakfast everyday and sometimes for a snack during the day. It's so yummy! Once you start eating, you won't be able to stop! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life