Croft Castle: A Relic of the Norman Conquest

The last estate we visited on our tour of England was Croft Castle. This was also another smaller estate, but one of my favorites. It reminded me of a smaller Highclere Castle. Although the current Croft Castle is not a real castle, the presence of turrets is a statement of it's medieval past.

According to our itinerary, Croft Castle “was founded by a Norman knight, Bernard the Bearded, around 1055. Under order from Edward the Confessor, Bernard built the first Croft Mote and Bailey castle to protect the English borders from the troublesome Welsh.  The castle has many fine Georgian interiors and a wealth of family portraits and has been home to the Croft family for over 1000 years.”
This portrait of Queen Elizabeth I hangs in the entrance hall

This house is shaped like a square, so walking through it was fairly straightforward. Whereas in other homes, the route was structured, at Croft Castle, there was no set route and you were free to explore the house as you saw fit. It would be impossible to illustrate all of Croft Castle’s history and frankly, with a history of 1000 years, I don’t think mashing up all of those styles would look very good. Instead, the house was made to look as it did during the 1920s/1930s.

Each room was brightly lit, there was jazz playing in the background, fake cocktails and champagne were set on the tables, and the décor made you feel like a “bright young thing.” Family portraits and photo albums decorated each room of the house, allowing visitors to meet the Croft family. It was wonderful. I have always been nostalgic for this period, much like Owen Wilson’s character in Midnight in Paris, so I really enjoyed visiting Croft Castle, circa Roaring 20s.

The dining room was a spectacular site because it was modeled to recreate a famous hunting banquet hosted at Croft Castle in 1930. The tables were meticulously set, a wide variety of alcohols were elegantly arranged and displayed, and the menu left me salivating! What I wouldn’t give to travel back in time and attend this banquet.
I want a centerpiece like this at my next party! 

Since Croft Castle is still a private residence, the number of rooms available to visit was limited --- understandably. Upstairs, there was a bedroom and an entertainment room, but nothing of major consequence. For me, the most impressive site upstairs was the HUGE family tree that spans TWO giant posters! I wish my family history was that illustrious and extensive!
The Croft family from approximately 1055 ~ 2014! 

Croft Castle also maintains its own small fully functioning chapel, which is called St. Michaels. The church dates back to the 13th century. The church is small and modest, but very beautiful. When you walk towards the front of the church, there is a “fine altar tomb of Sir Richard Croft (1430 ~ 1509), high official to four monarchs, and his wife Eleanor, daughter of Sir Edmund Cornwall, Baron of Burford.” (Wikipedia).
So beautiful and rustic
Sir Richard Croft and Eleanor Croft

Above the altar tomb, on the walls, are memorials for Sir James Herbert Croft and his father. (The two plaques on the right) Both father and son died on active service, protecting King and country. Sir James died in action during WWII, whilst his father was killed during WWI. So tragic, and yet beautiful. To think, father and son both died protecting their loved ones. 
I found this in the gift shop and it made me laugh!

Walking up the driveway, heading back to the car, I couldn’t help but imagine what Croft Castle must have been like in the 20s and 30s. I imagined myself, as a bright young thing (of course!), driving along the long driveway lined with trees, through the medieval gateway, along the winding road, which would eventually reveal a most splendid sight. Something out of Evelyn Waugh or P.G. Wodehouse, I imagine! If only I could travel back and experience Croft Castle during the Roaring 20s~! I think I would've had so much fun!
Goodbye Croft Castle! Hope to see you again! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life