The Olive Branch: A Quaint Country Pub in Clipsham, Rutland

We were out of London and ready to visit the first country manor listed on the British Heritage Chauffeur Tours itinerary. Before exploring Burghley House, our chauffeur dropped us off at a quaint little pub/inn called "The Olive Branch." BHCT had selected this gastropub and a table was waiting for us.
When you first enter the gastropub
Based on appearances, this was a great place to kick off our countryside adventures. I found the Olive Branch to be rustic and homey and very very sunny! Between the light coming in through the windows and the warm color scheme of the pub, I felt very much at home here.
The bar

To quote our itinerary: [The Olive Branch] creates wonderful pub classics alongside some more 'restaurant style' dishes all using local ingredients." Apparently, this pub was voted "Pub of the Year 2014" in the Good Pub Guide and was listed as one of the top 20 pubs in the Times.
So many delicious choices!

On this trip to England, I have made it my mission to try a variety of Pimm's cups. For those who are unfamiliar, the Pimm's Cup (or Pimm's Lemonade) is the ULTIMATE British summer drink. It requires Pimm's No 1, ginger beer (or sprite), sliced strawberries, sliced cucumbers, and citrus fruits (optional). You could think of this cocktail as a British sangria of sorts. When I visited London two years ago, my good friend S introduced me to this delicious drink and I have been hooked ever since! (I wrote about this drink in an earlier post, as well).
Yum!

For starters, I enjoyed the pea and ham soup, my father ordered the ploughman's platter, and my other selected the deep fried Colwick cheese cannelloni. My soup was absolutely delicious and it tasted so fresh. You could really taste peas, and I don't mean the frozen kind, and the accent of crispy bacon really brought the dish together. There were also hints of mint and fresh whole green peas in my soup. So so so fantastic! (I could really go for a bowl right about now…)
My pea soup
The ploughman's platter
Fried cheese cannelloni 

For lunch, we really wanted to try some local ingredients. Both my father and I ordered the "taste of Bidwell Farm pork", whilst my mother ordered the duck. The pork dish was not only beautifully prepared, but the variety of cuts were fantastic. You had bits of loin, pork belly, kidney, and even crackling (very very crunchy fried skin)! The meat was so tender and flavorful --- I'm so glad I ordered this dish. The vegetables were also nicely prepared and the accompanying jus really complemented the dish.
Selection of Bidwell Farm pork
Honey glazed duck breast

Now, onto the most important part of lunch: DESSERT! For my mother, the choice was simple --- Eton Mess. It's one of her favorite desserts. There are many variations of the Eton mess, but at it's core, all you need is fruit, meringue, and a dairy of sorts. At home, we use Greek Yogurt, but I've seen clotted cream or ice cream also used. This Eton Mess used a lot of cream and it also included lime jello. Interesting…
My decision was also easy: sticky toffee pudding. Yes, I know that this is a heavy dish and very sweet, but I can't help it! I really love sticky toffee pudding. When I see it on a menu, I just get this overwhelming urge to order it! I'm happy to report, my dessert was rich and decadent, but so so worth it!
And finally, my dad order bread pudding, which is a favorite of this. His dessert was extra indulgent, as it was served in a bowl of custard. Yuuuuummm.
For our first lunch in the British countryside, I'd say we ate rather well. The ambience of the pub was wonderful and homey and the food was beautifully prepared. The service was a little slow, but the staff were all polite and for the most part pretty attentive. If you find yourself in Clipsham and in need of a place to eat, I'd recommend the Olive Branch! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life