One Down, Five To Go: The Monty Python Reunion Show

"NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" // "Norwegian Blue, lovely plumage" // "Is this the right room for an argument?" // "SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM…." // "Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!" // "Crunchy frog" 

I don't know about you, but when I think of Monty Python, these are some of the famous jokes that come to mind.  Literally, for as long as I can remember, I have loved Monty Python. I remember being in elementary school and my father and I went to our local video store (I have clearly just dated myself, since this is before Netflix!) and he rented Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different. He grew up watching Monty Python's Flying Circus, so he wanted to share a bit of his childhood with me. I was very young at the time and most of the jokes made no sense to me, but that didn't matter. Somehow, despite not quite understanding what was going on, I couldn't stop laughing! Monty Python had stolen by heart and from that moment on, I was a dedicated fan. 

I voraciously devoured all of their films (and can now recite every line), I cannot count the number of times I have marathoned the entire set of Flying Circus (that's about 45 episodes), I've also watched the films and TV shows that the Python's went on to do post-Flying Circus (ex: Fawlty Towers, A Fish Called Wanda,  The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen, etc…) I saw Eric Idle's "Spamalot" six times when it was on Broadway AND I went on stage during my fourth time! I have a picture with the cast and my "Arthur award" at home. I even watched (and loved) the BBC pseudo biopic, Holy Flying CircusOk, so you get the picture, I'm kind of obsessed with Monty Python.
The Life of Brian
The original Broadway cast of "Spamalot"
The Cast from L-R:
Phil Nichol (Terry Gilliam), Tom Fisher (Graham Chapman), Charles Edward (Michael Palin), Darren Boyd (John Cleese), Rufus Jones (Terry Jones), and Steve Punt (Eric Idle)

When I learned last summer that the Pythons were reuniting after a 30 years hiatus, you can imagine my excitement. I went out of my mind. This was something I dreamt about and now it was happening?! Whattttt??? The Pythons originally planned for one show, but then added nine more shows because their one night only event had sold out in 40 seconds! Can you believe it?! Did I mention that the show was to take place at the O2 arena in London, which sits 20,000 people!!!  My dad tried to get tickets, but alas, was unable to. I was disappointed at first, but I came to terms with this. I knew they were planning on releasing a DVD, so I was content with knowing that I would purchase the DVD when it came out.

My world was turned upside down on Christmas Day 2013. Calendars are an annual Christmas gift in my family, so I wasn't surprised to find that my parents had bought me a Monty Python calendar. It made me a little bit sad, but as I thumbed through each month, I began to laugh more and more. I noticed little stickers that would say things like, "The comfy chair or your tickets!" or "Monty Python Live? Never gonna happen. They're too old." Seeing comments like that, I thought that this calendar was made to promote the reunion show. It wasn't until I got to December that I understood the calendar. Next to King Arthur, there was a sticker that read, "Yes!!! We are going to London to see Monty Python Live on July 1, 2014!!" I was in complete and total shock. I was speechless. I went back to the beginning of the calendar, and suddenly, the hints began to make sense.

Before becoming a surgeon, my father trained as an artist. My grandfather was a graphic designer and my father, assuming he would take over the family business, was his apprentice. With a background in artistic design, my father spent months painstakingly recreating the colors, fonts, and designs of the calendar, in order to drop hints about the ticket. He did such a good job, I didn't even realize his additions WEREN'T part of the calendar! I don't know how he got tickets, and for opening night no less, but all I know is, I nearly cried tears of joys. The best part of this whole situation was when I thanked my father profusely for the tickets saying that he was the best father in the world. He replied with a smile and a laugh, "Oh, this isn't for you. This is for me. I grew up with Python, I'm just letting you come along." Love you, Papa! Below, I've posted pictures of the Monty Python calendar. I've marked each of my father's additions with a blue arrow.
Once in a lifetime, indeed 

So, attending opening night of the Monty Python reunion show was the real reason for our English vacation. This was not only the highlight of the trip, but a life highlight. I can now die happy knowing that I got to see my idols perform their classic sketches live! Although the show is over now, and I think it's safe to say that the Pythons have officially retired --- or at least retired from Monty Python, I will always cherish this moment and will replay the show in my head forever! 

Although the Pythons are all in their early 70s, I was delighted to see that they still had the same pizazz from their youth. They still managed to remember all of their lines (except for Terry Jones, who occasionally read off cleverly disguised cards) and they all seemed to still enjoy each other's company. Several times throughout the show, the Pythons would just start laughing at one another mid sketch. It was a beautiful sight to witness. Here is a trailer for the show: Monty Python Trailer

Some of you may be wondering why I've used the title "One Down, Five To Go." That was in fact the name of this show. Why did the Pythons use that name? Well, there were originally six members of Monty Python, but in 1989, Graham Chapman died of cancer. You could say that "One Down, Five To Go" is a rather dark homage to the missing Python. It was sad not seeing Graham Chapman on stage, but the five remaining Pythons made sure that Graham Chapman was included in the reunion, too! 
The O2 arena
The merchandise tent 
My parents and I wore Monty Python t-shirts that we had ordered specially for the show, but our t-shirts were dwarfed by some other hardcore fans who dressed up as Python characters. We saw people dressed up at "The Gumbys", King Arthur and his Knights, characters from Life of Brian, and much much more! It was a beautiful site, seeing so many people showing their devotion to Python by wearing costumes. 
It's the Gumbys
And King Arthur!

I still can't believe just how ginormous the O2 is. I mean, wow. It makes Madison Square Garden look like a small theater. Again, I don't know how, but dad managed to snag killer floor seats!!!!! At the time of purchase, dad had to buy four tickets, although there are only three of us, so we invited our friend J (from Blackfoot post) to join us. I figured, "he's an Englishmen who loves British comedy, he'll probably love this." I was proven correct. 
The very Terry Gilliam and Monty Python-esque stage
The O2 arena was completely sold out, and this place can sit 20,000 people!!!!! 

Like I said, the show was amazing. In fact, it was beyond amazing. The energy that filled the O2 is indescribable. Everyone (Pythons included) was excited to be there and everyone was so happy. Sure, it was three hours of "The Best of Monty Python," but that's what people want to see. That's what I wanted to see. I wanted to see John Cleese do his famous "Dead Parrot Sketch rant" and I wanted to see the Pythons outdo one another in the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch (this is a personal favorite). I wanted to see Michael Palin sing "The Lumberjack Song"…. I mean, I could go on. This was such a fun evening and I am really thankful and lucky to have been able to experience it! 
"Four Yorkshire Men"
Throughout the show, clips of Graham Chapman were projected on the big screen
"The Lumberjack Song"
They even brought Carol Cleveland back! 
"Philosopher Drinking Song"
"Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge"
Stephen Fry on "Blackmail"
I am a MASSIVE Stephen Fry fan, so when we walked on stage, I completely lost it! 
"The Spanish Inquisition"
"The Argument Sketch"
"Dead Parrot"
In the middle of the sketch, Michael Palin and John Cleese started to laugh. It was wonderful to see how much fun they were having! 
The Pythons take a bow
Encore performance --- "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life"
In Memoriam 
I think they are trying to tell us something…

I was both elated and a bit sad when the show ended. On the one hand, I was on cloud 9 because the Pythons did a fabulous job and I couldn't stop laughing, but the end of the show meant that it was over. I'd seen Monty Python live. This was the one event that I had been looking forward to building up to for nearly 6 months and now it's over. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD, so I can relive this night over and over and over again!

On our way out of the O2, which was quite difficult, I saw a man walking towards me. I thought to myself, "why does he look so familiar?" Then, it hit me! It was Christoph Waltz! I couldn't believe that Christoph Waltz was also in attendance (and we had better seats than him!) Christoph Waltz is starring in Terry Gilliam's latest film, The Zero Theorem, so I can only imagine that he was invited to the show. I absolutely adored Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, so it was super cool to see him at such close range. I even got to wave to him. 
Oh hi there, Christoph Waltz

The Monty Python reunion show was everything I had hoped it would be and more. It was zany and silly, and the guys still got it. It is clear that they have aged --- John Cleese didn't do any silly walks due to his double hip replacements --- but the essence of Python was definitely emanating from the O2 that night. For men in their 70s, I give them credit. Well done to you all and thanks for a truly wonderful evening to remember!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life