The Wizard of Edge

Of the many places we visited during our countryside adventures, "The Wizard of Edge" was probably one of our favorite places we ate out. This unassuming gastropub sits on a quite country road, surrounded by beautiful hiking trails. The exterior of the pub is white and worn, yet mains a delightful country charm. It's also called THE WIZARD. I've never encountered a pub with such a cool name!
The inside of the pub was just as quaint. Lots of earth tones, beautiful paintings and photographs of the local country terrain, and nice old wooden furniture. It oozed British pub --- and I loved every second! 
Front of the pub
The bar
The dining room

The menu at the Wizard served classic pub fare, but with a slightly more upscale twist, which made use of local ingredients. The choice was very difficult and everything looked amazing!
The menu
Starting the meal with my favorite cocktail --- Pimm's Cup

We ordered a variety of appetizers. My father's ham hock terrine was beautifully made and the curried raisin chutney that accompanied this dish was amazing! I couldn't stop picking at my father's plate! My mother's fried potato and goat cheese ball was like a croquet. It was so creamy and delicious. I enjoyed my smoked pork belly immensely. The pork was beautifully smoked and the tart granny smith apple sauce really complemented the pork. 
Ham hock and caper terrine
Fried potato and goat cheese ball
Smoked pork belly with granny smith apple sauce

For our main course, my parents and I ordered basically the same thing, but mine was a bit of a variation. They ordered fish and chips with mushy peas, whilst I ordered a fried fish bap with chips. The fresh was so so fresh and the batter was fried to perfection. Very very crispy and wonderfully seasoned.  The portion of fish on my parents was incredibly generous, and whilst they didn't finish all of it, they made a valiant effort! 
Fried fish sandwich and chips
Classic fish and chips with mushy peas

Hands down, the Wizard was one of the best places we ate at in England. It really embodied the image of a British pub -- though I think the food is better that normal pub grub. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life