Hambleton Hall Hotel

After our first day in the English countryside, we arrived at our hotel for the evening, Hambleton Hall. Located in the village of Hambleton, close to Rutland, Hambleton Hall is a hotel and restaurant. The restaurant received a Michelin star in 2011. 

Hambleton Hall was originally built by Walter Marshall in 1881, and was used as a hunting lodge. On his death, Marshall left the estate to his sister, Eva Astley Paston Cooper. Cooper was a socialite and invited notable individuals like Noel Coward to Hambleton Hall. 

The Hall is located on it's own peninsula of sorts, overlooking on justting into the Rutland Water reservoir. Hambleton Hall was converted into a country house hotel in 1979. 

My parents and I had a lovely stay here. The House itself is quite stunning and the garden, though small, is gorgeous! 
Front of Hambleton Hall
Back of Hambleton Hall
Lovely outside sitting area
I love that there are Wellies that you can borrow! Clearly, this is a country estate. 
Sadly, I did not stay here, but I love that this is the name of one of the rooms!
View from my room
My room

Before dining in the hotel restaurant, my parents and I sat outside and enjoyed some cocktails. My mother had her favorite drink, a campari and orange, my father enjoyed a martini, whilst I indulged with an uber fancy Pimm's cup. Normally, this is made with Pimm's and sprite/ginger ale, but mine was instead made with champagne! It was not only elegant, but delicious!
As we sat outside, admiring the garden and enjoying the cool summer breezes, a staff member brought us these delightful treats to enjoy with our drinks. If I recall correctly, we were served crispy parmesan windmills, fried cheese croquettes, and a terrine of sorts. I didn't much care for the terrine, but the croquet and windmill were delightful. 
Knowing that this was is a Michelin star restaurant, I was really excited to see what the kitchen had on offer. Everything looked good on paper, but did it taste as good as it sounds? That was the question. Dinner got off to a rocky start with the amuse buche. We were served a mousse made from rocket salad and I have to say, it looks pretty, but this was one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted. It was just all wrong. It was like eating thick grass. Yuck, yuck, yuck. You can imagine my skepticism for the rest of the meal...
The menu
The amuse buche: Rocket mousse with butter and smoked eel

Although the amuse buche was terrible, I am delighted to report that the rest of the meal was delicious. Everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection and the plating was stunning! My parents and I really enjoyed our dinner! (Thank goodness that amuse buche was an anomaly). Dinner was so good, even though I was ready to burst, I was desperate to taste the desserts, and managed to make room in my belly for their chocolate, banana, and peanut butter confection. It was sooo worth stuffing myself silly!
Roasted Wood Pigeon
Roasted Great Dalby Duck
Slow cooked lamb
Creamy polenta
The cheese trolley
Cheese platter
Peanut butter, chocolate, and banana dessert
Souffle 
Full English Breakfast before departing for York

It's a shame that our stay at Hambleton Hall was so brief. It really is a gorgeous country manor and the view from the rooms are stellar. The food was also excellent, although I'd advise the chef to scrap that rocket mousse. If I ever find myself in the Rutland area again, I'd very much like to stay here again! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life