The Star Inn: Modern "North Yorkshire" Cuisine

After spending the morning exploring Castle Howard, it was time for lunch and our chauffeur dropped us off at a lovely Michelin star gastropub. To quote the Star Inn's website: Winner of the White Rose Awards Yorkshire Pub of the Year 2010, The Star has been consistently voted the favorite Northern restaurant by industry professionals and is much loved by foodies and locals alike. Andrew's "modern Yorkshire" style of cooking places great emphasis on regional and season ingredients and is firmly rooted in North Yorkshire, as indeed is Andrew himself, having grown up on a farm in the Esk Valley near Whitby surrounded by game and with North Sea fish virtually on his doorstep." We were very excited to try this gastropub.
The bar
The pub
The dining room

Off the bat, I recognized that this restaurant had a very interesting flare to it. I was amused to see the freshly bake bread. I've never seen bread served in a cap before and at first, I was a bit confused. That was certainly a quirk you don't see very often and something that I found quite amusing.
In addition to the "hat bread", the nature of the dishes and the ingredients used were a bit curious. Pickled cherries? Seawater jellies? So unique and intriguing! We were a bit pressed for time, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our lunch and tasting some really unique dishes!

My father started with the "Homemade Village Shot Roe Deer Sausage with Pickled Red Cabbage Puree, Pontefract Cake, & Pommery Mustard Seed." This was very tasty. Not too gamey and perfectly seasoned. My appetizer on the other hand, was a bit too creative, for my taste. I ordered the "North Sea Mackerel with Cucumber 'Spaghetti', Seawater Jellies, Scottish Cockles, Granny Smith Water Ice." It was literally like eating the ocean. All I tasted was sea water. The granny smith apple sorbet was delightful, but the dish --- which was beautiful --- was not really my cup of tea. Although I wasn't crazy about it, my mother loved it!
"Homemade Village Shot Roe Deer Sausage with Pickled Red Cabbage Puree, Pontefract Cake, & Pommery Mustard Seed."
 "North Sea Mackerel with Cucumber 'Spaghetti', Seawater Jellies, Scottish Cockles, Granny Smith Water Ice"

Now, it was time for our main dishes. The three of us order very different dishes and each one was absolutely fantastic! The presentation was stellar and the flavors were fantastic! I was particularly pleased with my quail, which was very succulent, and was surprised by the addition of fresh truffles! What a luxury. :D
"Braised Shin of English Rose Veal with Saffron Risotto , Mozzarella Cow Curd, Onion Crisps, Garden Oregano, and Ebberston Tomato Dressing" (My father's main dish)
Roasted Quail with Sauteed Mushrooms
(Surprise appearance of black truffles!!!)
"North Sea Fish "Pye" With English Mustard Cream" (Mom's main dish)
Side order of broccoli rabe and roasted potatoes

My mother opted for the prix-fixe "market menu", which came with dessert. Her dessert was very very refreshing. It was a lemon sorbet ice cream sandwich of sorts with a small cup of fresh lemonade. It was perfectly balanced. Not too sweet, but not too tart. Yum! 
The service was a bit slow at the Star Inn, but the food was excellent. Yes, my appetizer wasn't great, but I think that's just a palate difference. With regards to creativity, presentation, and execution, I have nothing but praise for my appetizer. I can see why this restaurant was awarded a Michelin star! The chef is very very very creative and his use of local ingredients is fantastic! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life