Jewish Soul Food: Katz's Delicatessen

Yesterday, my father drove into Manhattan for two reasons. 1) To collect me, as I would be spending the remainder of my summer at home and 2) to have a "father-daughter" Jewish afternoon. My dad is a nice Jewish boy, born and raised on Long Island. To fulfill a major stereotype, he went on to become a surgeon, something my grandmother loved to mention at parties. You know, "my son, the surgeon..." That old chestnut.

At home, we eat mostly Japanese, which is fine by me and dad, however, sometimes, you just get a craving for a bagel and lox or a pastrami sandwich. Ya know?! Well, with mom away and dad having to come pick me up, we saw this as a golden opportunity to finally sate our Jewish cravings.

My parents have a "sort of timeshare" in Midtown, on the West Side and because of this, when dad craved his comfort food, we always went to Zabars. Also, being in Midtown, my parents and I never really went downtown, since it was a bit of a schlep. Now, all that has changed. Since I now live downtown, I am always there (obviously) and now my parents have begun to explore the area too. In the case of yesterday's adventure, whereas from the timeshare, getting to the Lower East Side would've taken 30 minutes or so (need to change trains several times), from my apartment, it's a 5 minute subway ride on the F! How wonderful!
205 E Houston St, Lower East Side, NYC

First stop: Katz's Delicatessen. I love the fact that my blog is not only being read in the USA, but also abroad. I feel so international! To all my readers, thank you thank you thank you! Whether you live in the USA or Europe or Asia, you may or may not have heard of Katz's. (Anyone seen "When Harry Met Sally?" The famous scene where Meg Ryan fakes "the big O"...that's in Katz's)
Until yesterday, I had never been to Katz's, but I knew all about it. Growing up near Manhattan and with a Jewish father, you hear all about it. It also helps that I am a HUGE Anthony Bourdain fan, so when he visited Katz's on his show, I was like, "I gotta get here." Dad and I arrived at around 2:30pm. I knew this place was popular, but I figured that 2:30 was a bit off peak and that it wouldn't be very crowded. MAN WAS I WRONG. I've never seen a place so mobbed!
As the masses fought their way to the front of the sandwich line, the restaurant swirled with the smell of freshly cooked corned beef and pastrami. My mouth watered. I chose to stay in the back, while my father, desperate for his sandwich, fought his way to the front of the line. He was very successful. He managed to order one pastrami sandwich on rye with mustard, one corn beef sandwich on rye with mustard, one side of french fries, and delicious Jewish sour pickles! 
Wow, they aren't kidding when they say that Katz's has the best pastrami in all of NYC. I don't love pastrami, but I could not stop eating theirs. Sometimes I find pastrami to be a bit dry or stringy, but Katz's pastrami is NOT that. Thick and juicy, and so soft that just biting it causes it to disintegrate. Amazing, right? As Bourdain says, "in a really good pastrami sandwich, there is this structural integrity problem," meaning that because there is sooo much meat and juices, the sandwich just falls apart. Yum!

The corn beef sandwich wasn't bad either. A bit salty perhaps, but still very tasty. Like the pastrami, this too was incredibly soft and juicy. Also, it should be known that these sandwiches are also generously stuffed with meat. Like...GENEROUSLY stuffed.

What can I say, Katz, sure its a bit of a tourist attraction, but this really is a Manhattan institution. It's more than just a Jewish deli, but a living breathing piece of Manhattan's Jewish heritage. This deli was been around since 1888, that's 124 years! While many places come and go, I sincerely believe that Katz's will always remain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life