Exploring the Strand Campus of King's College London

This past Thursday afternoon, I had my MA induction at King's College. This induction was basically a welcome to the War Studies department and walked us through important things like how to register for classes and the inner workings of the department. I can't say that it was particularly exciting, but some parts of the orientation did yield helpful information.

Before my induction, I arrived at campus early and was fortunate enough to explore a bit. King's is a huge university, with campuses all over London, but the campus that I am based at is the Strand Campus. It is a stone's throw from Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square, nestled right next to Somerset House, and is at the doorstep of the River Thames. Beautiful and convenient location.
Part of Somerset House, which is right next to King's College's Strand Campus

As I walked around, I was mesmerized by the gorgeous architecture. I am not an expert on architecture and art history, but I want to describe it as Neoclassical -- reminiscent of the types of buildings one would see in Georgian England. The main building, King's Building, was enormous and I got lost a couple of times. So many corridors and staircases. Very reminiscent of Hogwarts!
Entrance to King's Building
One of the main staircases

Lucky for me, my walk home was very pleasant, mainly because the weather was gorgeous. (London has a reputation of being rainy a lot and it has certainly been living up to that reputation!) My flat is about a 20-25 minute walk from the Strand Campus and it takes me over the Waterloo Bridge. On a day like today, when I can take in the sights, it is absolutely stunning! On the one side of the bridge, I can admire the Shard, the Gherkin, and St. Paul's, whilst on the other side, I've got: The London Eye, Big Ben, and Parliament. Not too shabby. I could get used to walking to class and seeing this all of the time. 
Big Ben and the London Eye
You can see, from L-R: St. Paul's, The Gherkin, and The Shard
From L-R: The London Eye, Parliament, Big Ben

Comments

  1. This sounds and looks really cool! Are you from London? I will be starting my MA next september and I have some doubts as to which kind of housing is more convenient (residence, private flat, etc.) and stuff like that. I would truly appreciate any piece of advice! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life