Back In London for the Year

This past Thursday, I arrived in London, ready to start a new chapter in my life. I have moved to London in order to complete a one-year masters degree in the "History of War." Yes, when I started this blog, I was medical school bound, but life has a funny way of changing things. I won't go into details about this change of heart, but I will say, it wasn't an easy choice to make. 

I arrived on Thursday evening and stayed with a friend until Saturday morning. On Saturday, I met my cousin, who is also studying in London, and he helped me move into my flat. I was fortunate enough to secure a studio flat in one of the schools dormitories and it is really lovely! Much bigger and much nicer than I expected. I have no complaints so far. 
View from my flat

Friday was a little crazy since I spent the morning and early afternoon running around London trying to sort out my mobile phone situation. On top of that, I was battling jet lag. Saturday was even crazier since I was moving into my flat and then spent nearly 3 hours shopping for necessaries on Oxford Street. Once all the shopping was done and my cousin left me, then the unpacking and organizing began. I was knackered by the end of the evening and curled up on my bed to watch "Outnumbered" on netflix. I also got to Skype my boyfriend, which was really wonderful and fun. 

Today was also busy, but at least I got to explore my neighborhood a bit. Yesterday, my cousin showed me around, taking me to Borough Market -- which is my most favorite place in London! He also showed me where my nearest tube stop was, which is important to know. 

While walking to and from the grocery store, I got to see some interesting things. I found a cool looking pub, discovered that I live fairly close to the Old and Young Vic, and was delighted to learn that Gordon Ramsay's newest restaurant (Union Street Cafe) is just around the corner from my flat! Hooray!!!!
The Young Vic

I've never really spent time in Southwark and the south bank. I've only ever lived and really spent time in Central London and the north bank, so this is going to be an adventure. Looking forward to exploring my new neighborhood, experiencing the British education system, studying history again, and just being in one of my all time favorite cities. I won't lie, I am a bit homesick and miss people back home, but I am fortunate to have close friends and family here with me. Not sure what this year in London will bring, but I'm looking forward to new experiences and adventures. 
View from my flat at night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life