The Stagg Inn: Home of the Best Dessert I've Ever Eaten!


After Berrington Hall, our chauffeur joined us for lunch at a lovely gastropub called “The Stagg Inn.” This cozy little gastropub was not only incredibly warm and friendly, but the food was absolutely stellar!
Very interesting ceiling...

My meal began with…can you guess…? A PIMM’S CUP! And it was really really yummy. The perfect way to start lunch. I was also quite impressed with the homemade potato chips (or “crisps”), which were served with a balsamic vinegar dip. The chips were super crunchy, but not too salty. Basically, they were perfect!

Everything on this menu looked delicious and it was utter agony trying to select what to order. It also didn’t help that our waitress was super friendly and made an excellent case for every dish on the menu!

For starters, my father ordered the smoked pigeon breast. We had become rather avid pigeon fans during this trip, but we had never seen it smoked. It was an obligatory order and it was out of this world! So succulent and beautifully cooked. Our chauffeur ordered the tomato soup, which he enjoyed very much. My mother and I ordered one of my favorite British foods --- a scotch egg. For those who don’t know what that is, basically, it’s a hardboiled egg that is wrapped in ground sausage meat, breaded, and fried. It’s so good and the one I had at the Stagg’s Inn was fantastic!
Scotch egg
Smoked pigeon
Tomato soup


For mains, we took the carnivorous route, except for our chauffeur, who ordered the cod fillet. We were informed that Herefordshire is quite famous for its beef, so that’s what we wanted to order. My mother ordered the rack of lamb, which was really really juicy and tasty. My father tried the Herefordshire rump steak, since that is a relatively rare cut in the USA, and I tried the fillet of Herefordshire beef. I’m not a huge steak person, but I can see why Herefordshire is know for their beef! The meat was very tender and juicy, but not too heavy and greasy. Delightfully tasty and perfectly cooked!!!
Beef fillet
Cod
Lamb
Beef rump


Technically, we were running out of time --- we had another estate to visit after lunch --- however, we were treated to a dessert on the house! Our waitress, sensing my mother and mine’s sweet tooth, brought us one of the most delicious desserts I have ever tasted in my entire life! It was a Wimbledon inspired dessert, so it drew upon quintessentially British ingredients. Fresh strawberries, strawberry sorbet, Pimms jelly, cream, meringue, and a vanilla panna cotta…heaven in a bowl! Oh my god, it was so out of this world delicious and really beautiful too! This is a dessert that I will always remember and dream about!

I absolutely loved the Stagg Inn and I can’t wait to go back. I really hope they still have the Wimbledon dessert on the menu, or can at least recreate it for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life