Bettys: A York Classic

After a busy morning/afternoon exploring York, it was 3 pm and time for tea. Our chauffeur had recommended that we visit Bettys --- a York institution. Located near the town center, this cafe is a York must! It is a huge establishment that serves an assortment of meals (which are Swiss inspired), including afternoon tea and dinner, and the decor is reminiscent of the Edwardians. 

To quote Betty's website: "Why the Dales and the Alps? It all started with our founder, Frederick Belmont, a young baker and confectioner from the Swiss Alps, who came to England in search of his fortune. When he opened the first Bettys in Harrogate 95 years ago, he brought together the best of both Switzerland and Yorkshire: Swiss craft skills, finesse and attention to detail, and Yorkshire's proud tradition of warm hospitality and quality of local ingredients. Frederick's values and expertise have been passed down through the generations of the family and today we create specialties inspired by Switzerland and its continental neighbors, but with out unique Yorkshire twist." 
One of the menus
It seems that we weren't the only ones with this idea. The queue for afternoon tea at Bettys was impressive and based on the dining room, you could tell that Bettys attracts tourists and locals, alike!
Waiting in line…

Whilst my parents and I waited patiently for a table, I took this opportunity to people watch. The front part of Bettys is a store, selling confections and souvenirs, and it was BUZZING. To quote Scrooge, there was a lot of "buying and selling" going on. Granted, most of the customers in the shop were tourists, but still, Bettys souvenirs seem to fly off the shelves! 
After waiting about 10 minutes, we were finally seated in the corner of the cafe. It was a nice little nook where my family and I could enjoy a peaceful afternoon tea, reflect on the day, and people watch. Although Bettys had a lot to offer, we had one thing on our minds: afternoon tea. 
As I mentioned, Bettys is very reminiscent of the Edwardian period. The fancy chairs and tables, the glasswork, the pianist, and the waiters dressed as if they walked right out the 1900s -- I loved the whole vibe. The China and teapots also made me think of an earlier time in Britain's history. 
The cake trolley and display

When my afternoon tea finally arrived, I nearly inhaled it. We hadn't eaten since breakfast (around 9 am) and afternoon tea is my favorite meal of all time. The sandwiches weren't mind blowing, but still acceptable. On the other hand, the confections were delightful! The scone was huge, packed with raisins, and quite fluffy. The assortment of cakes were also delicious, but not too sweet, which is ideal (for me at least). The fruit tart in particular was phenomenal. The pastry was nice and crispy, the fruit was very sweet, and the almond custard sandwiched between was absolutely amazing. Also, the Bettys blend afternoon tea really hit the spot! 
My parents and I really enjoyed being able to sit still and enjoy such a lovely afternoon tea. There is something about this tradition that I find so civilized and wonderful. The idea of being able to relax, enjoy some scones (with clotted cream and jam, of course!), sip tea, and chat with friends and family --- what could be better? I wish we had this tradition in the USA, but alas….we do not. I think Williams Gladstone was spot on when he said, "If you are cold, tea will warm you; If you are too heated, tea will cool you; If you are depressed, tea will cheer you; If you are exhausted, it will calm you." Well said, sir!
~~~

The next day, we returned to York in the evening to explore some more. Whilst we had fun, we learned that pretty much everything in York closes at 5 pm. We had arrived at around 5:30, so it was a lot of wandering and window shopping for us. After hours of walking the medieval streets of York, it was time for dinner. Our chauffeur had recommend a few restaurants, but either they were too busy or we couldn't find them! Not sure where to go or what to eat, we returned to the one place we knew, Bettys.

As it was nearly 7pm, we thought it was a bit late for afternoon tea. (Darn!) Instead, we decided to try Bettys dinner menu, which was a bit foreign to us, since were aren't too familiar with Swiss cooking. We were feeling adventurous and let our waiter guide us with our dinner orders.
Started my meal with my favorite drink --- Pimm's cup

I ordered the "Betty's Yorkshire Sausage", made from Vale of York pork, which was served with ratatouille and a mini rosti.
My dad order the rosti with cheese
My mother ordered the chicken schnitzel 
Our rather interesting side salad

The dinner was interesting. It was tasty, but not the best thing I'd ever eaten. One thing we did learn is that a Swiss rosti is basically a latke, or potato pancake.

For us, the main event was dessert. Let's face it, Bettys is known for their confections, not really for their savory dishes, and there is a reason for that. The dessert possibilities were endless! Scones, cakes, sundaes, brownies….you name it, they had it. It was a hard decision, but in the end, my parents and I each ordered a delicious dessert and enjoyed them immensely! 
My mother ordered the Eton Mess
My father ordered the pear tart
I ordered the Black Forest Chocolate Gateux

Heaven in my mouth. The desserts were so delicious! My mother's Eton Mess was particularly yummy and also a very generous serving size! (We later learned that the North of England is known for it's generous portions). My mother is a rather petite Japanese woman and I always tease her because although my father and I are bigger than her, somehow, whatever she orders tends to be the biggest dish!  

With our bellies full and my sweet tooth satisfied, I was ready to return to the hotel and to prepare for another day of traveling. Thank you Bettys, so filling me with such delightful goodies! 
As we left Bettys, I noticed these Tour de France inspired treats 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life