Avebury Henge

After Lacock, we stopped very briefly at Avebury Henge. I don't know about you, but I had never heard of Avebury until this trip. I've heard of Stonehenge, but not Avebury. Apparently, the two sites are comparable in age. Avebury is thought to have been established in 2600 BCE, whereas Stonehenge is thought to have been erected between 3000 ~ 2000 BCE. Our chauffeur told us that Avebury is the largest henge in Europe!
Avebury is a "Neolithic henge monument containing three stone circles, around the village of Avebury in Wiltshire…Unique amongst megalithic monuments, Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe, and it one of the best know prehistoric sites in Britain. It is both a tourist attraction and a place of religious importance to contemporary Pagans." - Wikipedia 
We were quite surprised by the large number of sheep grazing between the stones!
The tiny hippie-esque "Henge Shop." There were so many incense burring in there, I could barely breath! 

LIke I said, we didn't stay at Avebury Henge very long --- about 15 minutes. We had a walk around, checked out the gift shop, and snapped a fair amount of pictures. It was interesting to see the way in which the stones were aligned, but I was more curious about the meaning of the henge and why it was erected in the first place! I guess I'll have to do a bit more research… 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life