Lucknam Park: The Epitome of Posh Luxury


Our last evening in the country was spent at Lucknam Park, just outside Bath. Although the origins of this site are unknown, it is thought to have been a Saxon settlement, predating the Norman Conquest. Between 1199 to 1688, a farmhouse stood at this site, but in 1688, it was purchased by James Wallis. Over the years, ownership of this site changed from family to family, but in 1987, Lucknam Park became a hotel. (Info taken from Wikipedia).

Whatever the history may be, this hotel is BEAUTIFUL! First off, it’s a bit hidden and to access the main house, you must drive up a LONG wooded driveway that is surrounded by fields for as long as the eye can see. I felt as though I was in a Regency drama, except for the fact that I was in a Mercedes --- but that’s besides the point.  After several minutes of driving, out of the clearing, a beautiful old stone manor appeared.
The driveway


This hotel is a complex with several wings and buildings. There is a main courtyard that is meticulously maintained, as well as a variety of amenities. The hotel includes a library, dining room, sitting, room, spa, brasserie, and much more! I’m also pretty sure they have stables on the grounds somewhere… The hotel also has extensive grounds and several gardens to enjoy. Unfortunately, we arrived rather late and were only staying for the night, so were unable to take full advantage of what the hotel had to offer!
The courtyard
The drawing room
My bedroom was called "The Blossom Room"

My parents were in the "Rowan Room"

We enjoyed dinner at the hotel brasseries, located on the opposite side of the courtyard. This brasserie was rather sleek and modern, making use of large windows, wood paneling, and the color white. The menu was also impressive, which a large variety of dishes available.
For starters, my parents both ordered the pan seared scallops and herb risotto. Both the scallops and risotto were prepared to perfection! The scallops weren’t chewy and the risotto was al dente. Very nice. Although I had a scotch egg at lunch, I couldn’t resist --- I ordered a scotch egg as my starter. This egg was tasty, but not as tasty as the one I had earlier.

For dinner, my parents and I each ordered something different. My mother opted for the vegetarian Wye Valley asparagus risotto, which was not only a beautiful shade of green, but also very flavorful and delicious. Again, the risotto was cooked perfectly. My father tried the roast breast of Creedy Carver duck a l’orange, whilst I enjoyed the Roast rump of Brecon lamb. Both dishes were beautifully prepared and so so succulent! 
Lamb
Asparagus

Duck


Dessert was interesting, but not mind blowing. The discovery I made was that “gypsy toast” = French toast. I have no idea why it’s called Gypsy toast, but it was quite tasty.
Gypsy toast
My mother's lemon dessert
Dad's chocolate mousse
As soon as we left the brasseries, dad made a new friend

After dinner, we wandered the grounds for a bit, since it was still rather light out. Whilst we were in England, it was still bright outside until 10 pm! Can you believe it?

We spent a pleasant evening hanging out, watching a bit of Jane Austen on my computer (in preparation for our visit to Bath the next day), and began to reflect upon our England adventure.

The next morning, before heading off to Bath, we stopped for a quick breakfast in the dining room. For reasons unknown to us, we were placed in the far corner, away from everything, despite the fact that the HUGE dining room was fairly empty, except for the few Brits sitting near the window. Perhaps the dining staff doesn’t like Americans? All I could think, as we ate our breakfast, was “NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER!” (Cliché, I know, but that’s how I felt!)
The dining room
Simple omelet (mom & dad)
English Breakfast (me)

Except for the hiccup at breakfast, I will say, we loved Lucknam Park and wished we had more time to enjoy this hotel. Since my family and I love Bath, I have a feeling we will be back in the future…and we will NOT sit in the corner of the huge dining room!

Comments

  1. Oh gosh! That was a gorgeous trip! The driveway looks so magical and the estate itself looks like it came out from a fairytale. I totally agree that the hotel is the epitome of luxury. I like that the interiors remain true to the classic style decor for stately abodes. Of course, the moot would be the delicious food, which made my mouth water just by looking at it. Thank you for sharing those pictures! I hope everyone in your family is in the best of health!

    Jeff Riley @ Happy Guest Lodge

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life