Slow Cooker Creole Chicken & Sausage Stew

New year calls for new recipes. Also, my freezer is packed and needs decompressing. After taking an inventory of what is in my freezer, inspiration hit me, I broke out the slow cooker with the intention of making a yummy dinner.

I recall a few months back seeing a recipe online that required andouille sausage and chicken and, lucky for me, I had both of these items frozen in my freezer. After pulling up the recipe, I realized that I had most of the ingredients in my kitchen too: chicken broth, diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, and various chili spices. With this realization, making this "slow cooker creole chicken & sausage stew" was a no-brainer.

The original recipe I used is from Pinch of Yum -- a recipe blog I like to follow. I will admit, I did make a few modifications, but that didn't hurt the recipe. This stew was easy to prepare, easy to make, and so flavorful! Perfect for cold weather.

The original recipe suggests serving with rice, which is fine, but I actually used Trader Joe's Cauliflower Stir Fry since I'm trying to cut down on carbs.  I'll fully admit, I'm not the biggest fan of cauliflower rice. I've eaten it a few times and cooked it a few times, but I've never been impressed UNTIL I tried Trader Joe's Cauliflower Stir Fry. I don't know how they do it! The rice on its own was delicious! Way to go, Trader Joe's! (NOTE: I am not affiliated with TJ and this is MY opinion).


Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
12 oz smoked Andouille chicken sausage, cut into small rounds (I used chicken Andouille sausage)
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves minced garlic
1.25 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp cajun spice
1 tbsp chili powder


Directions:
1. Spray inside slow cooker with cooking spray. 

2. Prep ingredients. Slice up sausage in to rounds. Chop onions.

3. Add all ingredients to slow cooker.



4. Cook stew on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.

5. Once stew is done cooking, remove chicken as best you can from the slow cooker and place on another plate. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Once shredded, put chicken back in the slow cooker and mix stew.




6. Serve hot with rice, or in my case, cauliflower rice. 


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life