Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu

A few months ago I was hosting a dinner party and I wanted to make something different. I have my usual repertoire of party dishes, but on this night, I was feeling adventurous. As you guys may or may not know, I am a fan of Buzzfeed's TASTY app, so I began to browse for recipes. I was intrigued by the "baked chicken cordon bleu" recipe. I love cordon bleu and I found the idea of it being baked with puff pastry very interesting. And just like that, I had my dinner main dish selected!

With all my groceries purchased, I began to prep my meal. I seasoned the chicken, filled/rolled with the cheese and ham, and then wrapped my chicken parcels with puff pastry. I did this a few hours before the party. Before my guests arrived, I egg washed the parcels and tossed them into the oven to bake. All in all, I found the recipe to be pretty easy and straightforward. It was slightly labor intensive, but not crazy difficult. 

So, I will be honest, this recipe was OK, but probably not my favorite. It was interesting and tasty, but not as good as regular chicken cordon bleu. Since there were 4 of us dining, I made individual parcels, but honestly, I probably could've made 2 parcels and split them between us. I don't think anyone managed to finish their chicken cordon bleu -- or if they did, they were too full for anything else. The dish was a little carb heavy, but I guess that's not really too surprising, considering I've wrapped chicken breasts stuffed with cheese and ham with puff pastry. 

Although this wasn't my favorite party dish, I still enjoyed it. I thought it was quite tasty. If anything, I just found the baked chicken cordon bleu a little heavy -- certainly 1 parcel can comfortably serve two people.

Ingredients:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 16 slices slice cheese (or whatever cheese you want)
- 1/2 lb ham, sliced
- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed, if frozen)
- 1/4 cup English mustard (or any mustard you want)
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash


Directions:
1. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

2. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic and pound with a meat mallet or frying pan. This will flatten the chicken and tenderize it. 

3. On a separate piece of plastic, create alternate layers of cheese and ham. So, two slices of cheese, then two slice of ham on top, two slices of cheese, and finish with two slices of ham. 

4. Place ham and cheese on to a chicken breast and wrap. Try to make your wrap even and tight. 

5. Wrap the chicken tightly with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 min. (I prepped this dish the night before). 

6. Preheat oven to 400F. 

7. When you're ready to start assembly, cut the puff pastry sheets in half and roll out each puff pastry sheet lengthwise. Remember, you need these pieces big enough to wrap the chicken! 

8.Brush the puff pastry with mustard. Place the chicken at the edge of the puff pastry and roll tightly. Pinch seams together and make sure the whole chicken is encased. 

9. Cover chicken parcels with egg wash and place on a greased baking sheet. 

10. Bake chicken cordon bleu for 35-40 min or until golden brown outside and internal chicken temperature is 165F. 

11. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life