The NY Philharmonic's Revival of "Show Boat"

Last Saturday, I went to the matinee performance of the New York Philharmonic's limited engagement revival of Show Boat. My parents had received a single complimentary ticket in the mail and since I live in Manhattan, they gave it to me. I wasn't familiar with the story and music of Show Boat --- I had heard of the musical itself --- but I will admit, my knowledge was limited. I enjoy the theater and I have a particular soft spot for musical theater, so I was excited to see Show Boat. Also, it was a nice change of pace for me. My weekends are normally spent running errands or doing paperwork, so an afternoon of music was a delightful treat.

Last time I went to a show at the NY Phil, I saw their production of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street starring Bryn Terfel and Emma Thompson. I wasn't sure if this was going to be like a full out Broadway production or a simple concert. It was a bit of both. "Sweeney Todd" was half staged. It ran like a musical --- the actors acted in full costume --- but there was not a real stage set and props. Either way, I enjoyed it. Bryn Terfel is my favorite opera singer and I am madly in love with Emma Thompson. In my eyes, she is perfect. I also learned that Emma Thompson is a FABULOUS SINGER!!! (You go, girl!) 
Sweeney Todd (Bryn Terfel) and Mrs. Lovett (Emma Thompson)

Anyway, when I arrived at Avery Fisher Hall for Show Boat, I knew to expect a half staged production. There is something wonderful about seeing a full orchestra on stage and watching the actors intermingling with the musicians --- at least in my opinion.
Both the players and the musicians worked together on stage

I don't know how many of you readers out there are familiar with the story and history of Show Boat, so allow me to take a few minutes to fill you in --- or at least let me tell you what Wikipedia has to say: 

- Show Boat is a 1927 musical in two acts, with music by Jerome Kern and book/lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. 
- It's based on Edna Farber's bestselling novel of the same name.
Show Boat follows the lives of the performers, stagehands, and dock workers of the "Cotton Blossom", a Mississippi River show boat, over a 40 year period (1887 ~ 1927). 
- The themes of Show Boat include: racial prejudice and tragic, enduring love.
- The musical has such classic songs including: "Ol' Man River," "Make Believe," and "Can't Help Lovin's Dat Man."
- In 1951, MGM made Show Boat into a major motion film. 
To prepare for my afternoon at the New York Philharmonic, I did my research. I wanted to learn about this production, but more importantly, I wanted to know who was going to be singing in this version of Show Boat. I was pleased to see some names and faces that I recognized, including Vanessa Williams, Fred Willard, and Julian Ovenden. I knew that Vanessa Williams and Julian Ovenden could sing, but seeing Fred Willard listed came as a surprise.
The hilarious Fred Willard in rehearsals as Cap'n Andy --- owner of the "Cotton Blossom"
The love birds, Gaylord Ravenal (played by Julian Ovenden) and Magnolia (played by Lauren Worsham)
I love love love Julian Ovenden!

As I mentioned, going into this, I didn't know very much about Show Boat. The first thing I discovered was that I actually knew the music, without even realizing I knew it! Apart from "Ol' Man River," I had heard "Make Believe," "Can't Help Lovin Dat Man," and a couple of other songs,  but I had no idea that they were from Show Boat! That was a pleasant surprise. (Here is a video of the cast in rehearsals. The video features "Make Believe" and "Ol' Man River")
"Can't Help Lovin Dat Man"

I was also pleasantly surprised by Fred Willard as Cap'n Andy. Willard doesn't sing that much, and I wouldn't call him fantastic, but he pulled it off. I thought he played the part of the show boat captain well. 
Fred Willard trying to get the residents of Naztchez to buy tickets for an evening of entertainment on board the "Cotton Blossom"

I know who Vanessa Williams is, but I can't say that I was excited to see her in Show Boat. In fact, I was pretty apathetic. That said, I was very impressed by her performance, both acting and singing. Williams played Julie La Verne, one of the stars on the Cotton Blossom. I think of all the characters in Show Boat, Julie is the most intriguing, and I'll tell you why. Julie is a talented singer and is happily married to her leading man, Steve. They are devoted to each other, but the two also harbor a massive secret --- Julie is half African American. Technically, in the state of Mississippi and in many Southern states at this time period, mixed race marriages were illegal. I found this story line interesting because of it's racial, social, and political implications. It's a taboo subject and I'm impressed that it was raised in this play. When Farber published Show Boat in 1926, racism and segregation was still alive and well, and I wonder how American audiences, particularly in the South, would have reacted to this revelation. 
Vanessa Williams as Julie La Verne

Veteran Broadway actor, Norm Lewis, took on the role of "Joe", the Cottom Blossom's main dock worker. Of course, Joe's most famous song in Show Boat is "Ol' Man River." I love this song, but then again, who doesn't. It's soulful, poignant, and also enchanting. When I think of "Ol' Man River", I think of a deep deep baritone, but sadly, that's not what I got. I was a bit disappointed with Lewis' rendition of this classic. He can sing, there is no question there, but I felt that his voice lacked that extra depth needed for this song. He was close, but didn't quite nail it for me. To me,  Lewis' voice wasn't high enough to be a tenor, but still too high to be a deep baritone. Perhaps I am being too critical, but I didn't love his performance as much as I wanted. 
Norm Lewis singing "Ol' Man River"

For me, seeing Show Boat was all about Julian Ovenden. I have been a Julian Ovenden fan for several years now, ever since I saw him in Foyle's War. In this long running British murder mystery program, he plays Andrew Foyle, the son of the leading character, DCI Christopher Foyle. The show is set during WWII and Andrew joins the RAF. Let me tell you, Ovenden looks so dashing in his uniform and has me swooning every time! Ovenden is also in Downton Abbey, although I am still behind, so I haven't watched his season(s) yet. 
Michael Kitchen (DCI Christopher Foyle) and Julian Ovenden in Foyle's War
Julian Ovenden as Charles Blake and Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary in Downton Abbey

This incredibly talented British actor took on the lead role of Gaylord Ravenal. Although I find Ravenal to be a rather charming, but despicable character, I love Ovenden and I love his singing voice. (I was also impressed with Ovenden's Southern accent!) I fell in love with Ovenden's voice when I first heard him sing in the romantic comedy, 1st Night.  Ovenden is a spectacular tenor, he is classically trained, and he can BELT it! I loved every second of his singing. Here is a video of Ovenden singing "Oh What  Beautiful Morning" from Oklahoma! For me, Julian Ovenden stole the show. He was HANDS DOWN the best part of the NY Philharmonic's revival of Show Boat!
Julian Ovenden as Gaylord Ravenal

On one level, Show Boat is a love story between Magnolia, the daughter of Cap'n Andy, and Gaylord Ravenal, a mysterious stranger who joins the "Cotton Blossom." On another level, it's a story about life on the Mississippi and beyond. It's a multilayer tale, but to me, the most intriguing part of Show Boat is the exploration of race and the dichotomy between black and white. 

As I mentioned earlier, Julie and Steve are an interracial couple in 1887. This is highly controversial and it probably made contemporary American audiences uncomfortable. Of course, I was not around in the 1920s, so this is a presumption, but as a student of history and relying on what I know of that era of American history, I know that in some places, this marriage would have been a hanging offense. 

Furthermore, the relationship between the white performers and owners of the Cotton Blossom versus their African American work staff was interesting to me. On the one hand, it seems like Cap'n Andy and his family respect (or at least don't abuse) their workers, but there is still a strong sense of separation between the two skin tones. I find that fascinating.

I also noticed that the dialogue between the white and black characters were distinctly different. You could say that the white characters spoke "proper" grammatically correct English, whilst their African American counterparts spoke in stereotypically "incorrect" English. A lot of "yessums" and casual African American slang terms. The writing of the show certainly reenforced stereotypes and served as another barrier, which only reiterated the distinction between black and white. I was really intrigued by this. 

Although I find this whole black/white commentary fascinating, I was totally bored by the Magnolia-Gaylord love story. Two strangers fall in love at first sight, they get married (even though they barely know each other), young love diminishes, and the fairy tale dies. It's not original by any means, but that's not what bothered me. Yes, I was appalled by the fact that Gaylord abandons his wife and young daughter, after hitting rock bottom, but what really made my blood boil was the ending. After twenty years, Cap'n Andy, who doesn't seem bothered by the fact that his daughter was abandoned by her husband, reunites Magnolia and Gaylord and you know what, they embrace as if nothing happened! WHAT THE WHAT?! The man leaves you destitute for 20 years, you have a young child that YOU have to support on your own, and now he just re-appears. How can you act like nothing has happened? 

Yes, I may be over reacting, but I find this unfathomable. If MY husband did this to me, our 20 year reunion would not be filled with hugs and kisses. It would be filled with anger, resentment, and lot more. I get it, the Magnolia-Gaylord story is about true love and the fact that Magnolia loves Gaylord no matter what, but come on. This is just ridiculous. 
Magnolia and Gaylord --- the early days of their courtship

Overall, I'd say that Show Boat was "ok." I enjoyed the music and most of the singing, but the story just didn't do it for me --- at least the love story didn't. Perhaps I'm too much of a 21st century gal, but I thought Magnolia was too much of a pushover and that ending…I still can't believe she forgave him. Still, I'm glad I saw this production and any chance to listen to Julian Ovenden sing is such a pleasure, so all in all, it was a nice afternoon! 

*DISCLAIMER:  I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE PHOTOGRAPHS (EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST ONE). THE REST WERE TAKEN FROM GOOGLE*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life