"Frankenstein or the Modern Prometheus" - A National Theater Masterpiece

Getting into the Halloween spirit, this past Monday (10/27/14), my parents and I attended a screening of the critically acclaimed NT Live performance of Frankenstein. This was my FOURTH time seeing this show and I found it just as riveting as the first time. I have mentioned Frankenstein briefly in a previous post about NT Live, but please bare with me as I write about it again. (Trailer #1, Trailer #2, Trailer #3)

I remember reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein when I was in 10th grade English class. From what I recall, most of my friends did not care for this book and most found it quite boring. They thought it was too slow paced and I think they had the classic Boris Karloff inspired image of Frankenstein in their head, which isn't at all what the book portrays. I, on the other hand, absolutely loved the book and was fascinated with it.

I thought the prose was beautiful, the concept of the story intriguing, but first and foremost, my interest was piqued by "the monster." I will admit, my image of Frankenstein's monster, until this point, was of the classic tall oaf, green skin, walks like a zombie, bolts through the neck, violent, only grunts etc… I was amazed to learned that Mary Shelley's original monster was nothing like this at all. I was blown away to learn that the monster was actually an incredibly intelligent and sympathetic character, abandoned by his creator and scorned by society. His heart was not naturally cold, but rather, had been shaped by his interactions with man. I found myself sympathizing with the monster more and more with each page turn.
 
Some "classic" Frankensteins: Fred Gwynne as Herman Munster and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein

From 10th grade English class, to my senior year of college in 2011. Through the Anglophile grapevine, I was delighted to learn that Frankenstein was adapted to the theater by Nick Dear and the stage production was directed by Danny Boyle. I was even more excited when I learned that NT Live would be screening their version of Frankenstein in cinemas across the world. Although my workload was heavy, I pushed everything to the side and was lucky enough to catch a showing at the local movie theater of the 2011 National Theater production of Frankenstein
Danny Boyle and Boris Karloff's Frankenstein

I still remember my first viewing of Nick Dear's adaptation of Frankenstein like it was yesterday. His presentation of this Gothic masterpiece was brilliant and wonderful. Dear did deviate from the original story at times, but his alterations were either harmless or enhanced the dramatic effect(s) of the scene. 

Though I have only seen a handful of Danny Boyle's work, including Slumdog Millionaire, I am very much aware of his reputation as a innovative director --- and his creativity really shined in this production of Frankenstein. I thought his decision to have the actors playing both roles of Victor Frankenstein and the monster particularly intriguing and daring. In an interview, Boyle stated that he made this decision because he really wanted to emphasize the duality between Victor and the monster, but also highlight their similarities. By having the actors play both roles, a stronger relationship between the two characters can be built. All I can say is, this decision was a risk, but it paid off. 
Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch starred in the 2011 National Theater production of Frankenstein

As Boyle pointed out, for his vision to work, he required two phenomenal actors who could play off one another --- even challenge each other --- and he found that in Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch. I may be biased since I am a massive fan of both actors, but I think that they were perfectly cast for this production. I was truly blown away by the performances of both actors in either role. (I was fortunate enough to see a double feature a few years back). 

Both Lee Miller and Cumberbatch successfully embodied Victor and the monster, but they still managed to maintain their individual personalities, which made each interpretation distinct. Cumberbatch stated that to prepare for his monster, he watched videos of people who had recovered from horrific accidents and were in the process of rehabilitating their minds and bodies. You can vividly see this influence in Cumberbatch's movements and speaking style. Lee Miller on the other hand revealed that his major influence was his two year old son, and his monster, who has a lisp, moves like a toddler learning to walk. 
Frankenstein rehearsals

From start to finish, Frankenstein had me on the edge of my seat. One of Nick Dear and Danny Boyle's #1 priorities in this interpretation of Mary Shelley's novel was to return the voice of the monster. As they correctly noted, in many films, the monster is robbed of his voice and of his intelligence, but not in the National Theater production. In Dear's adaptation, the audience watches the monster evolve from an infant state (where the world is new and motor skills have not been fully developed), to an adolescent state (where he is taught to read and write and begins to develop his mental faculties), to his adult state (where he is fully functional and begins to act/think for himself --- for better or for worse).  
Naomie Harris as Elizabeth and Jonny Lee Miller (top)/Benedict Cumberbatch (bottom) as the Monster

Frankenstein was terrifying, yet thrilling. It raises so many questions about religion and science, and where man falls between the two. Can man play God? What are the consequences of going against the natural order? Are men inherently evil or are they influenced by experiences? Does science always have an answer for everything? What defines being alive? It really amazes me that not only was Frankenstein written in 1818, but it was written by a WOMAN (Mary Shelley), who was supposedly 18 years old. It's wonderfully remarkable to realize that a woman was asking these questions in a period where science was still novel, questioning religion was taboo, and the idea of reanimation was terrifying.

I will close my post with this: I think the National Theater production of Frankenstein is one of the best theater productions I have ever seen. The writing is poignant, yet witty. The directing and set design is so creative and captivating, but it's Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller that steal the show. Honestly, I don't think amazing and wonderful truly expresses how I feel about them. It is evident from the moment the play begins that they literally become their characters. The effort and concentration put into maintaining the monster's deformities, speech impediments, and developing movements is astounding. I have only the utmost respect for Lee Miller and Cumberbatch, and I look forward to seeing them again next year for viewing #5! (Hopefully NT Live will be screening Frankenstein again next year.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life