Creamy Rosemary Mashed Potatoes with Parsnip

This past Friday night, at the request of my father, I made him one of his favorite dishes: pan seared duck breast. He goes crazy for my duck breast, so I was more than happy to oblige! When I was planning out dinner, I was trying to think of perfect accompaniments. After a long brainstorming session, I decided upon mashed potatoes.

Now, I could've done standard mashed potatoes, but I wanted to do something a bit more creative. I did some searching on the internet and I stumbled upon this recipe. Good ol' Gordon Ramsay, he never lets me down! These mashed potatoes are fluffy, creamy, and a little bit sweet (from the parsnip). This may be a little bit too posh for kids, but it's a really sophisticated take on standard mashed potatoes. It's super easy to make, incredibly yummy, and something that I will be adding to me repertoire! 

Ingredients:
- 1 lb yukon potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- a dash milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- a pinch of black pepper 
Directions:
1. Peel and cut the potatoes and parsnip(s) into bite sized pieces.
2. Peel and halve garlic.
3. Place potatoes, parsnip, and garlic in a saucepan. 
4. Add enough water to cover all of the ingredients. 
5. Add rosemary.
6. Partially cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, keep the pot partially covered and simmer for about 40 minutes (until veggies are soft, but not disintegrating). 
7. Once soft, drain potatoes and parsnips. 
8. Begin to mash. Add the sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper. 
Mix well so that everything is combined. 
Et voila! A slightly more sophisticated version of mashed potatoes, with an adult twist! 
I served these spuds with pan seared duck breast, red cabbage, and a lovely green salad. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life