Steamed Cinnamon and Maple Syrup Kabocha (Japanese Pumpkin)

When most people hear the word "pumpkin", images of Jack-O-Lanterns tend to get conjured. I on the other hand, think of my mother's cinnamon and maple syrup kabocha. My mom has been making this side dish for as long as I can remember. It's a family favorite and I tend to devour it when I see it.

This side dish is not only incredibly fast, delicious, and easy to make… but it's also quite healthy! Kabocha is rich with an assortment of vitamins including: beta carotene, iron, vitamin C, potassium, calcium, folic acid, and some vitamin B. It is also a beautiful color and so so yummy! 

You may be raising for eyebrows at the combo of kabocha, cinnamon, and maple syrup, but trust me, IT'S WONDERFUL. It's like eating butternut squash or pumpkin pie! 

So here it is, my mother's steamed cinnamon and maple syrup kabocha. I hope that you all enjoy it as much as I do!

Ingredients:
- Japanese pumpkin
- a pinch of cinnamon
- drizzle of maple syrup
*all of the quantities vary based on personal taste
Directions:
1. Clean the seeds out of your pumpkin.
2. Cut the pumpkin into bite sized pieces.
3. Steam in the microwave for about 5 minutes or until on the verge of getting soft.

4. Remove pumpkin from the microwave, drain water, and return pumpkin to microwave. Put the pumpkin back into the microwave to soften more.

5. Once you pumpkin is soft, dress with cinnamon and maple syrup (to taste). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life