ラーメン さくらい (Sakurai Ramen)

When I think about visiting Tokyo, one of the first things that pops into my head is: ラーメン さくらい (Sakurai Ramen). This is my favorite ramen shop. I have been coming here for as long as I can remember. In fact, my mom came to this ramen shop when she was a little girl, on opening day no less! ラーメン さくらい is more than just a delicious ramen shop, it's part of my family's history!

I don't think I've ever missed a visit to ラーメン さくらい. Whenever we are in Tokyo, my parents know that this is a must, and we also make a trip here. 

When one visits ラーメン さくらい, it is customary to order ramen (obviously), but also to order a side of gyoza. Whether you share that or eat it alone is up to you, but no ramen is complete without it's gyoza accompaniment! 

I love the fact that the same gentleman who opened this ramen restaurant still runs it. Granted, he has help, but for the most part, he still oversees the operation, mingles with his customers, and takes the order. My mother tells me that he was there on opening day too, almost 50 years ago! Good for him! 
The owner of ラーメン さくらい chatting with waiting customers
The menu
Mom and I arrived during the lunchtime rush, so we had to wait for almost ten minutes. Normally, my mother refuses to wait on line for anything, but knowing how much I love ラーメン さくらい, she made the exception --- and I thank her for that! 

Almost as soon as we sat down, our food was ready. Mom ordered plain shoyu ramen, which I opted for something a bit more decadent, char-sui (roasted pork) ramen. It was DELICIOUS! Of course, no meal would be complete without a side order of delicious gyoza! 
Mom's shoyu ramen
My char-sui ramen
Delicous gyoza
Spicy ramen, from a previous visit

I enjoyed my ramen and gyoza thoroughly and now knew that I could return to the USA happy and sated.

When we left to pay the check, we ended up chatting with the owner for a little bit. He asked us why he hadn't seen us in a while. We explained to him that we are from the USA, but we always make sure to come and visit him when we are in Tokyo. He looked at me and said, "I was wondering where she went. She use to come all of the time." Much to my surprise, I learned that the old man recognized me --- and I was delighted.

If you ever find yourself craving ramen and you are in Kichijoji, I highly recommend that you go visit ラーメン さくらい. It's a bit of a hole in the wall, but it really is an old school ramen restaurant. The food is excellent and so is the service. Don't be fooled by the simple facade and 1950s music --- it really is a gem!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life