Old School Unagi Dinner

One of the highlights of this trip to Tokyo was spending time with my second parents. My Uncle “M” and Aunt “J” are essentially my second parents have been best friends with my mother for 30+ years. They are both physicians and they are some of the most amazing people I have every met. I truly love and adore them.

On this occasion, my mother and I met Uncle M and Aunt J for dinner at their favorite unagi restaurant. This tiny hole in the wall is run by a married couple and it is really old-school. Very reminiscent of “Showa” Japan. (The term “Showa” refers to the time period where Emperor Hirohito reigned, so approximately from 1926 ~ 1989).
The establishment is very modest and the cooking methods used by the chef (and husband) are truly traditional. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten such delicious unagi! It was perfectly cooked and so flavorful. It really melted in your mouth. The accompanying clear broth was also so amazing and flavorful.

It was so much fun chatting with my Uncle M and Aunt J and making wonderful memories with them. Not only are the major foodies, but they are also some of the funniest people I know! I cannot wait to go back here again with them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life