Easy and Healthy Weeknight Pasta!

Living as a student in New York City is fun, but at times, it can be annoying. Between classes, volunteering, tutoring, studying, and exercising --- I often find myself running around all day. That's all fine, I like being busy, but at the end of the day, when I come home and it is time for dinner, that's where the busy schedule takes its toll.

By the time I get home, it is usually late(ish) so cooking dinner can be a bit of a problem. Either I am too tired to cook or I don't want to have to wait too long to whip something up or I have picked something up on my way home. That's what I have been facing over the past couple of weeks. The last scenario is particularly problematic. New York City has too much good food to offer and buying dinner on my way home is far too easy. Whilst the takeways I have been enjoying are delicious, it is a costly habit and since I haven't made those meals, I don't really know the calorie content.

Well, earlier this week, I forced myself to break the cycle and cook myself dinner. Sure, it was 8 o'clock at night and I was really tired, but I said to myself, "you need to stop spending so much money and cook yourself a nice healthy quick meal!" So that's exactly what I did.

I rummaged through my fridge to find some chicken sausages, vegetables (that were getting old and needed to be used up), and I always have frozen corn/edamame. I also had some pasta in the pantry, so my gears started turning. After a few minutes, I was chopping up my chicken sausages and peppers, boiling water, and making dinner!

So glad I did this. Dinner took no time to prepare at all and it was really satisfying enjoying a delicious meal of my own creation! Must make sure I have these ingredients in my apartment all the time for other nights when I am tired, hungry, and not wanting to eat out! 

Ingredients:
- 1 container spinach
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 2 chicken sausages
- pasta
Directions:
1. Boil water and cook your pasta.
2. Chop up your pepper and chicken sausage. 
3. In a deep frying pan, heat olive oil and sauté the pepper. 
4. Once the peppers have softened a bit, add the chicken sausage. 
5. Once the chicken has browned a little bit, add the frozen edamame and corn. 
6. Add spinach.
7. Add seasonings of your choice.
8. Add pasta and mix.
Et voila!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life