Apples and Pumpkins Galore: Upstate Farm Stands

A few weeks ago, it was my "fall break". I put that in quotes because it was really just a long weekend, rather than a break. (At Bryn Mawr, fall break was one full week, not two days).

I spent my break at home, relaxing with my parents. We hung out, enjoyed delicious woods, and watched a lot of "The Thick of It." We split our time between our cabin in upstate New York and our home in New Jersey, which was great for me. As much as I love Manhattan, sometime you just got to get away.

On our way up to the cabin, we stopped off at one of our favorite local farm stands: Montgomery Place Orchards. They have really excellent produce and the staff is all really nice! We always love buying yummy foods and we usually end up buying A LOT. Also, I believe they have an affiliation with Bard College...which I think is pretty cool.
Looks like Montgomery Farms is ready for Halloween and pumpkin carving season!
Pie contest?! Yes please! I would love to participate! (or sample everything...)
My family has a particular soft spot for the apples that Montgomery Place Orchards sells. They are always really crisp and delicious. Not to mention, there is always a large selection of apples!
Who knew there were so many kinds of apples and that they have their own calendar!
What an adorable name! We've never seen these before.
These are a new hybrid breed of apple that Montgomery Place Orchards named
Some local mushrooms too!

As per usual, we bought A LOT of produce. Bushels of apples, some pears, and a huge selection of veggies for dinner. I have to say, the apples we bought here were some of the best that I have eaten in months. Really crisp and juicy, and also very sweet. I couldn't stop eating them! Yum yum yum! I really hate soft apples and that seems to be all I've been getting recently. I can't wait to visit the cabin again, but more importantly enjoy the wonderful fresh apples of Montgomery Place Orchards. (Here is the facebook page for Montgomery Place Orchards).

Besides the fact that the produce is great, my parents and I love visiting this farm stand because we love supporting local famers --- in fact, it's very important to us. Whenever we can, we love to buy local produce, local meats, and of course we like to support local restaurants who also outsource locally. Upstate New York is such a wonderful place and it produces really stellar stuff. So proud to have a cabin here and so proud to be able to support our local producers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life