New Hampshire Adventures


After a brutal summer of organic chemistry, I was granted a two week summer vacation before fall classes begin. *Ugh* For those two weeks, I decided to come home and get away from the craziness.

The first week of my vacation was spent at home relaxing and running errands. I got to just veg, which was wonderful, and I got to spend a lot of time playing with my cat, Jiji. I missed her very much and she is just super cute. Sure, she has a tendency to rip bunnies to pieces and then I have to clean up the aftermath, but hey, she’s a cat and that’s what she does….right? (I have asked her not to do it, but she just doesn’t want to listen!)
Jiji loves to play with feathers

Anyway, the second part of my vacation (which I am still enjoying) has been spent away from home. For the first half of week two, my family and I traveled to New Hampshire to spend a couple days with friends. It was absolutely amazing and I am really sad that it flew by so quickly!

When I was growing up, we had a very close family friend named J. For as long as I can remember, my family and I spent almost every weekend with J at his country house in upstate NY. We had so much fun. We would work in the garden, walk around the area, cook, and just hang out. Granted, I don’t remember these weekends as well as the adults, but I just remember I always had the most wonderful weekends with J and he became a second father to me.

Several years ago, J left the USA and began living allover the world, for work. When he left, he sort of went MIA and we lost touch. I often thought about him and wished to relive those past weekends, but alas, not knowing where he was….that was impossible. Plus, he sold the property upstate. On a side note, because of J, my parents were inspired to purchase their own property in upstate NY!

Long story short, a few years ago, J resurfaced, much to our delight. Two years ago, we learned that he and his significant other, A, would be visiting the NY area. Their visit coincided perfectly with my college graduation party, so after being apart for many many years, we were reunited and it felt so good! J hadn’t changed at all and we met A for the first time ---- he is so so so lovely and I adore him! Since reuniting, we have stayed in touch, which I am delighted about, and we are pretty good about keeping each other aware of what ‘s going on in the others life. I’ll admit, besides email, we have facebook to thank for that, since A and I are friends on facebook.

Fast forward, a few months ago, J invited us to spend a few days in New Hampshire with him, A, A’s mother, and J’s whole family --- whom we know. (Well, my parents know…I didn’t remember them…) I don't think I have had this much fun in a very long time. It was just like the weekends that we used to have in upstate NY…it almost felt as though we had never been apart! It was so natural.

The front of the beautiful and rustic house that J rented
Gorgeous covered porch. Lots of time was spent here. 

In New Hampshire, we relaxed, read, hiked, and cooked/ate A LOT. What could be better? Definitely what I needed, after a summer of orgo! 
Top of Mt. Catherine
Wild blackberries
There was also A LOT of alcohol, which was drunk enthusiastically. Wine, bourbon, rye, scotch, cocktails, champagne...you name, we probably drank it! (I assure you, we are not alcoholics!) 
Enjoying my favorite cocktail: a Blood & Sand
(it's a mixture of scotch, sweet vermouth, orange juice, cherry liqueur, and a dash of bitters)

On our last morning in New Hampshire, my parents and I were treated to a very special final breakfast. J, A, A’s mom, and the rest of J’s family had gone blueberry picking before we had arrived in NH, so they made fresh blueberry jam and Dr. R. treated us to homemade blueberry pancakes! Yum!!!
One of the most memorable moments of the trip was celebrating J’s mother’s 75th birthday! It was wonderful spending time with her and her whole family. We had such a feast! Chirashi-sushi, grass-fed steaks, bean salad…and much much more! Also, lots of dessert. Birthday cake, fruit, my carrot cake, and mom’s plum tart….So so much food! What a feast.
                                   
The best tasting organic grass-fed steaks ever! Love these steaks. 
Here, my dad is hard at work grilling them over a campfire. 
The birthday table is set!
At the top: my mom's bean salad and a selection of Japanese smoked fish
Bottom: chirashi-sushi and roasted potatoes
Top: fruit bowl and my mom's plum tart
Bottom: my carrot cake
My very full and happy plate

For me, the highlight was being able to spend time with J. Like I said, I have always considered J my second father, so after having him absent from my life for so many years, I can’t really describe the joy I feel to have him back. He is one of the most intelligent, kindest, wittiest, funniest, and gentle people that I know, and I have missed him dearly (I could continue to sing his praises…but I don’t want to bore you). Oh! AND J went to Haverford, which is linked with Bryn Mawr, so that’s something we bonded over.

Also, spending time with A was fantastic. A is so lovely and wonderful and I am very glad that J and A are married. They are a super cute couple and I wish them everlasting happiness! My one regret is that they live too far from us, making frequent get togethers very difficult! Still, I am so delighted that we were able to spend a few days together…it was just like old times! I hope that the future holds many more get togethers. 
~~~
Some Bonus Food Pictures!
We went to a local restaurant for lunch one day.
(L-R): French onion soup
lobster/turkey club with sweet potato fries
mushroom/lobster bisque
lobster roll with beer battered fries
Dessert was delicious too!
strawberry shortcake and locally produced chocolate ice cream
Grilled corn and shrimp fried rice
Steamed vegetables, bean salad, and a large selection of grilled chicken sausages
Gorgeous breakfast of fruit, bagels, kielbasa sausage, and scrambled eggs made with mushrooms picked in the forest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life