Finally Made It to Smorgasburg in Brooklyn!

Ever since moving to Manhattan last summer, I have been hearing amazing things about this event in Brooklyn called "Smorgasburg". What is Smorgasburg? I'll tell you --- it's the greatest thing EVER! (Especially if you are a foodie, like me).

Smorgasburg started in Williamsburg in 2011, as an extension of the Brooklyn Flea. Whereas the Brooklyn Flea is a giant form filled with hundreds of vendors, like antiques or furniture, Smorgasborg is the culinary counterpart. It is a giant food fair --- literally stalls of almost every cuisine you can think of! Heaven on earth....I think so. 

As you can imagine, I have been itching to visit Smorgasbord, and that wish was finally fulfilled...sort of. I spent last weekend with my best friend, E, and she took me to a newer satellite Smorgasbord in DUMBO, rather than the original in Williamsburg. The one in DUMBO is a bit smaller and is in an open air abandoned building. The location is pretty cool and it's right on the East River, so the view of lower Manhattan is spectacular! (Note: DUMBO is short for District Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass). 
Approaching the Brooklyn Bridge in DUMBO on our way to Smorgasburg

On arrival at Smorgasburg, I was like a kid in a candy shop. I couldn't stop looking left and right, taking in all of the food stalls. You had American, BBQ, Japanese, Peruvian, Indian, Vietnamese....I mean, the list goes on. Not to mention dessert stalls and even specialty drinks! If I had the money, I would've tried everything!!!
Smorgasburg!
Looks delicious!
I love how you can see the Brooklyn Bridge peeking over the top of the Smorgasburg venue
So many stalls!

One of the most popular food vendors was this BBQ stall. E and I got to Smorgasburg pretty early, so the line was fairly short, however, according to E, later in the day, the line gets absurdly long! Our choices: BBQ brisket sandwich and BBQ pulled pork sandwich.
The building up of anticipation
Ladies hard at work, assembling sandwiches
I tried the BBQ brisket sandwich
E tried the BBQ pulled pork sandwich

Although I loved the open venue for Smorgasburg, it was a really hot day and there was not shade. Bummer! Feeling parched, I made my way to a specialties soda stall. Everything looked delicious and the decision was hard, but I ultimately decided on the Red Plum & Basil soda. It was a deep ruby red and tasted delicious! It really had the tanginess of the plum with a hint of basil. Really yummy!
So many choices!
Interesting stall. I'll have to try it next time.

Whilst wandering around, E and I decided to share some fresh Vietnamese Spring rolls. I have such a soft spot for Vietnamese Spring Rolls....they are one of my all time favorite things to eat. Yum yum yum!
Made to order
Yum!!!!!!

I think my favorite stand was the Japanese food stall. Ok, maybe I am being biased because I am half Japanese and it's my favorite cuisine, but this was my favorite thing that I ate. They were serving Japanese "street foods", like terikyaki and γŸγ“η„Όγ (tako-yaki). 
Making the tako-yaki

Tako-yaki are usually translated as "octopus balls", but I don't like that description because it makes them sound so unappealing. Tako-yaki are basically these little savory doughy-balls with bits of chopped octopus in the mix. They are usually dressed with a special sweet sauce, mayonnaise, and bonito flakes. Trust me, they are freaking delicious!!!
Best thing I ate at Smorgasburg
So many people enjoying a variety of foods

Taking a break from food, E and I decided to sit by the East River and relax. We sat and just chatted about everything. It was fabulous. After having an intense and anti-social summer, it was refreshing to just enjoy the moment and not think about schoolwork for once. I loved every second. I also just really adore E and I always have a great time with her. 
Gorgeous antique carousel that was recently restored
Shark boat!
Gorgeous panoramic shot of lower Manhattan along the East River
Oh, hi there Brooklyn Bridge!

Before calling it a day, E and I returned to Smorgasburg for some dessert. Although we had many many options,we ultimately decided on ice cream sandwiches. These were ginormous and homemade --- so delicious! E enjoyed a "goodwich", whilst I enjoyed a "brown butter peach" ice cream sandwich. I cannot accurately describe just how delicious these treats were. I wish I had one right now. 
Everything looks delicious!
My brown butter peach ice cream sandwich. 
(sorry it's blurry)

All in all, a splendid day! I love Smorgasburg and I cannot wait to go back and try the other food stalls!!!! Next time, I'll have to visit the bigger and original Smorgasburg in Williamsburg! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life