Sick of Regular Salad? Why Not Try Soba Salad!

Last week, I was in the mood for salad, but at the same time, I wasn't. Weird, right? I guess I was feeling unhealthy, but at the same time, the thought of salad bored me. I sat for a few minutes, contemplating what kind of salad to make, when the lightbulb went off and I thought, "SOBA SALAD!"

For those who may not know, soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour and they are SUPER popular in Japan. Even though soba is technically a carbohydrate, and for those of us trying to lose weight, may be the enemy food, in fact soba noodles are quite healthy (within moderation). Soba contains eight essential amino acids (ex: lysine), its polysaccharide structure is easy to digest, it contains antioxidants (rutin & quercetin), and essential nutrients (choline, thiamine, & riboflavin)! 

My mom absolutely loves soba and so does pretty much every Japanese person I know. You can eat them hot or cold, in a soup or with dipping sauce, or in a salad...frankly, you can eat soba many ways!

A trend that I see in Japanese restaurants here in America (especially in New York City), is soba salad. These are great because you really get a healthy meal in one bowl --- depending upon what you put in it. For me, my salad consisted of: mixed greens, chopped pepper, sliced cucumbers, soba, and diced chicken. Vegetables, carbohydrates, and protein...all in one bowl! For dressing, I used ponzu sauce. 

Ponzu is a citrus based sauce use in Japanese cooking. It's dark in color, watery in consistency, and a bit tart. I love it and it really complemented by salad perfectly! 

Soba salads are so quick and easy to make. Basically, go to the store and buy the soba noodles and prepare them according to the packaging. Whilst your noodles are cooking, prep your salad, and once your noodles are done, cool them off and add 'em! Finish off with some dressing and voila!

This has become a regular go to meal for me, especially when I am tight on time, but still want to eat healthy! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life