Homemade Almond Tofu (Anindofu)

I have no problem admitting that I have quite a sweet tooth. I love dessert and I love sweet treats. Of course, we can't go around eating sweets all day, that's not very healthy! That said, I still manage to indulge my sweet tooth, but with healthier options. 

One of my favorite desserts to make and eat is anindofu or almond tofu. This is a popular dessert at Chinese restaurants. The name says it all. It's not real tofu, but it looks like it and it has the consistency of tofu. It is really delightful. 

Real recipes contain gelatin, almond powder, and soy milk, but mine is a bit different. Instead of gelatin, I use agar, or "kanten." Kanten is obtained from algae and has been eaten in Japan since the mid 17th century. It is incredibly healthy and the plain kanten has no calories! It's a great diet food. Sometimes, if I don't have milk, I'll just make a tray of plain kanten, which I'll then eat with fruit and/or maple syrup. It's fantastic and I love it!

The recipe I share here, is my mother's recipe. She makes this fairly frequently at home. It's quick, simple, delicious, and fairly healthy! 

Ingredients:
- 350 mL milk (about 1.5 cups)
- 350 mL water (about 1.5 cups)
- 70 g sugar
- 1 package of powder agar (kanten)*
- splash of almond extract
Note: if you go to a Japanese grocery store, you can find the powder agar. Just ask for "kanten." Also, one package of kanten contains two small packets of kanten. For this recipe, you only need one of those small packets. 

Directions: 
1. Measure out about 70 g of white sugar.
2. Add the cold water and kanten to a saucepan and allow to bowl. 
Be sure to mix the water and kanten so that all of the kanten melts. Allow the mixture to come to a soft boil. About 5 minutes. I like to see bubbles, because then I know the kanten had totally melted. 
3. Once the mixture has boiled, add the sugar. Mix well. 
4. Once the sugar has totally dissolved, turn off heat and add milk. Mix well. 
5. Next add the almond extract. Mix well. 
6. Once everything is mixed together, pour your anindofu mixture into a plastic container. You can set the container in an ice bowl to help it cool down and harden. I didn't do that and it was fine. 
Once your anindofu has solidified (I'd give it 24 hours), you can cut it up and serve! Feel free to eat the anindofu plain or with fruit. 
Plain anindofu
Anindofu with fruit

Comments

  1. Hi would you please let me know the weigh of the Katen packet you use for this receipt. I would like to make this for my hubby who loves Almond tofu so so much! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lily,
    One package contains two powdered agar sachets, each weighing 2 g. For this recipe, I used one of those sachets.
    Hope that helps!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life