Enjoying Restaurant Week at "The Lion"

One evening, my parents and I got together and tried a new restaurant called "The Lion." Restaurant Week is such a great opportunity for those who want to try new places! After consulting the Restaurant Week website and browsing the numerous restaurants near my apartment, I settled upon "The Lion." This place seemed chic, trendy, and sophisticated AND the menu looked delicious. Basically, a win-win! 

When we first arrived at The Lion, we actually walked past it. There isn't a sign or anything, so you have to go by address. I was really impressed by the ambience of the place. Reminded me of the 1920s. Low lighting, lots of dark wood paneling, chandeliers, and many many many paintings/photographs! Yes, the restaurant does seem a little bit cluttered --- the walls are bursting with decorations and the tables are very close together --- but it lends to a certain kind of charm. At least in my opinion. 
The main dining room
Lots to see!
Very high vaulted, almost conservatory-like, ceiling 

To kick off dinner, my mother and I both tried a "blackberry gimlet." This delicious cocktail is made with gin, cassis, fresh lime, and lavender cordial. Yum, yum, yum! Sadly, since dad was driving home, he has not able to partake. The cocktail was perfectly balanced. Not too strong, not too sweet, not too tart. The lavender was also a delightful touch.
Blackberry Gimlet

My parents and I all ordered the same starter: calamari. Although I prefer grilled calamari, this fried calamari was delicious! It was perfectly crisp and not very greasy. Also, I don't know what the seasoning was, but it was delicious! The calamari was served with mixed greens and an olive aioli Yum!
Calamari Salad with smoked paprika, lemon, nicoise olive aioli 

For dinner, my dad relived his childhood by ordered a chicken pot pie. This was not his mother's chicken pot pie, but a much posher version. The pastry was beautifully crispy, the chicken was wonderfully tender, and the béchamel sauce was homemade and luxurious. My mother and I ordered the hanger steak, which was served with a fried egg, arugula salad, and polenta fries. So yummy! Everything was seasoned perfectly and the polenta fries were addictive, however, the steak was a bit chewy. Don't get me wrong, the steak was delicious, just a bit on the chewy side.
Chicken Pot Pie
Steak, fried egg, polenta fries, and arugula salad

For dessert, my parents tried the almond brown butter cake. Thick, moist, almond-y, and not too sweet. It was delicious! I ordered the homemade chocolate chip ice cream sandwich. The chocolate chips were humongous and I enjoyed every morsel!  
Chocolate chip ice cream sandwich
Almond brown butter cake

I loved The Lion! I thought it was really great. Like I said, the ambience was lovely --- I really liked the feel of the place. The waitstaff was attentive and friendly and the food was quite yummy. I look forward to going back and trying the a la carte menu! My one criticism is the spacing. The tables are WAYYYY too close together, so you have moments where you feel like you are on top of your neighbors. Otherwise, I love this place!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life