Weekend at Long Beach Island




In between Christmas and New Years, my parents and I visited some friends out on Long Beach Island. This past September, to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary, my parents decided to vacation in Barcelona and the South of France on a Viking Cruise ship. On the cruise, they met many couples, including Mr. and Mrs. S. They became fast friends and the S's invited us to spend the weekend with them at their shore house. 

I will admit, although I have lived in Jersey all of my life, I have never really been to the Jersey Shore before! (Shocking, I know). That fact alone was enough reason for me to be excited to visit LBI. Sure, it was December and it was cold, but we had so much fun! The S's are such lovely people, their home is gorgeous, LBI is wonderful, and we had so so much fun!
The family cat, Romeo. He was so fluffy, friendly, and affectionate. 
The family dog, Lady. She was also very cute, very sweet, and really loved getting her belly rubbed!

When we arrived, no time was wasted showing us the island. Mr. S (first name H) is quite the local historian and very knowledgable about the history of LBI. We had arrived rather late in the afternoon and H was insistent that we visit the local landmark, the Barnegut Lighthouse, before it became dark.
Being on the water in late December proved to be very cold, but also very worth it. The beach and water was quite beautiful and we got to see the Coast Guard in action! We also got to see a seal!
Walking along the water at dusk

Panoramic shot of the beach, lighthouse, and water

From the Barnegut Lighthouse, H drove us to the beach. What a gorgeous sight! The beach was completely deserted, with good reason, and the sun was just beginning to set. My parents and I had so much fun walking along the water and picking up shells. (How cliche is that?!) I have never really been a beach person, but this experience I really really enjoyed. A deserted beach is not only tranquil, but also very beautiful. The sunset was also breathtaking. 
Our exploration of LBI continued with H driving us around and giving us a tour. What a beautiful place and the houses are splendid! I also did not realize how rich LBI is with history! Loved every moment of our island tour. 

After the H's tour, we returned home for appetizers, dinner, and drinks. Another couple that my parents met on the Viking cruise, who are longtime friends of the S family, were also staying with the S's for the weekend. Together, there was a fair amount of drinking, eating, and exchanging of stories! 
Romeo lurking
Lady hoping that someone will rub her belly
We woke up to rain, but that didn't deter us!

Although our visit was quite short, a mere 24 hours, we had so much fun! I got to listen to everyone swap stories from the Viking cruise and I also got to meet some very interesting people! H is quite a jolly character and lots of fun to chat with. His wife, M, is quite subdued, but such a lovely woman! H's friend J served during WWII, so I enjoyed chatting with him about his experiences during the war. I have to say, I really enjoyed my time at LBI! I hope we get to come back soon!
The S family's "shore Christmas tree"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life