Hop Kee --- A Family Favorite

My family and I spent the beginning of January vacationing in our favorite island (and no, it wasn't the Bahamas or Hawaii). As crazy as this sounds, we love vacationing in Manhattan! Sure, I technically live here, since I am a student at NYU, but it's different when you are having fun with your parents. My family and I have been vacationing in Manhattan for as long as I can remember. It's a fun family tradition and hey, it's kind of practical. (1) no need to worry about traveling --- Manhattan is a 30-45 min car ride from our house, (2) we know the city very well, (3) everyone speaks English and no need to exchange currency, and (4) the restaurants are delicious! 

Although we were on vacation, it wasn't all fun and games. My dad was busy with office work, whilst I was kept busy with MCAT stuff. On one of the evenings, I met my parents in Chinatown after MCAT tutoring and we dined at our favorite restaurant -- Hop Kee (21 Mott St). 

I think I have mentioned this in an earlier post, but Hop Kee is very special to us. My dad used to come here in the 80s, when he was a medical student. Almost 30 years later, he still dines here! How amazing is that!
We were incredibly hungry and ordered quite the feast. Did we over order? Probably. Was it worth it? Absolutely, yes~! Bring on the Chinese food~!
spicy squid, sautéed scallops with enoki mushrooms, and white rice
seafood medley, fried Peking duck, and sautéed Chinese broccoli
My favorite dish at Hop Kee. Cantonese periwinkles! So delicious!!!!!! The sauce is to die for!

So yes, we over ordered, but more amazingly, we ate it all! The periwinkles and squid were cooked to perfection. The sauce was spicy and garlicky --- ideal for rice! The scallops and enoki mushrooms were light and tasty…I couldn't stop eating it. Lastly, the duck. The duck was delicious! Super succulent and crispy. Yum yum yum!
A very interesting fortune…considering we just visited the poison exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History. 

Overall, another fantastic evening at Hop Kee. Can't wait to go back!!! I just hope that in the future, I get to run in to Anthony Bourdain!!! ;D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life