Saving Mr. Banks --- "Mary Poppins" Like You've Never Seen It Before

Over the holidays, my parents and I went to see the new Disney film, Saving Mr. Banks. Wow. What a fantastic film. Saving Mr. Banks tells the story about how the beloved Disney film Mary Poppins came to fruition, but on a deeper level, it is a story about fathers and daughters. The trailer makes this movie out to be a feel good family film, which it is, but it neglects to inform you about the strong emotional component of the story. (I found myself crying several times throughout the movie!)

I don't want to give too much away, so I will do my best to give you just enough information so that you know what I am talking about, whilst still keeping some of the film's secrets. On the surface, Saving Mr. Banks focuses significantly on the battle between Walt Disney and PL Travers, who refused to sell Disney the rights to her novel. A tumultuous relationship from the beginning, Disney pulls out all of the stops to impress Travers, and ultimately wins her over in the end (sort of). 

This tale is quite extraordinary. Growing up, I loved Mary Poppins --- I mean, who didn't/doesn't? In fact, I still love Mary Poppins! This movie takes you behind the scenes and walks you through the creative process. Very cool. I particularly enjoyed learning about how the music was composed!  
Julie Andrews, Walt Disney, and P.L. Travers at the 1964 film premiere of Mary Poppins

If one peels back the layers of the film's Mary Poppins-centric theme, Saving Mr. Banks is an exploration of P.L. Traver's early life and her relationship with her father. Travers was born and spent her early life in Australia. She was very close with her father, a banker and dreamer, however, he was not a successfully businessman, which caused problems for the family. Throughout the film, Travers has flashbacks to her childhood, often reflecting on her time with her father, whom she worshipped and adored. 
Annie Rose Buckley as a young P.L. Travers and Colin Farrell as her father

I think part of the reason why I was so emotional during the film is because I too am very very very close to my father. He is my best friend, my rock, and I cannot imagine my life without him --- I would do anything for my father, like the young P.L. Travers. With that, I could completely relate to how the younger version of Travers felt. Her intense love and attachment, her excitement of spending time with her father…I know exactly how she feels. There are some moments of strife in the film involving Travers and her father, and believe you me, I was really tearing up. I thought this movie was great and I found Traver's early life fascinating, however, there were a couple father-daughter moments that hit a little too close to home… I think my father feels the same way. 
The devoted father

Of course, everyone is talking about Emma Thompson's stellar performance as the tough old-school no-nonsense British novelist, Mrs. P.L. Travers. I love Emma Thompson. LOVE LOVE LOVE her! She is one of my favorite actresses and she never disappoints. She was phenomenal as Travers and I loved every second of Saving Mr. Banks because of her! She really captured Travers' stubbornness, whilst also conveying a sense of vulnerability. On the outside, Travers was very difficult and protective of Mary Poppins, but as the film progresses, you learn that Mary Poppins is not just a novel, but a crucial figure in Traver's life. Well done Emma Thompson! I have no problem admitting that I am FURIOUS that Thompson did not receive an Oscar nomination. I think saying that she was snubbed is a huge understatement. I am still fuming. 
P.L. Travers (left) and Emma Thompson as Travers (right)

Of course, we can't forget to talk about Tom Hanks as the man himself, Walt Disney. I have mixed feelings about Hanks' portrayal of Disney. Don't get me wrong, Tom Hanks is one of my all-time favorite actors, if not my ultimate favorite actor. Between Forrest Gump, Big, Apollo 13, The Da Vinci Code, Catch Me If You Can, Cast Away, Saving Private Ryan, etc… I've seen the lot! I even love him as a producer! (Band of Brothers, The Pacific). So, being the Tom Hanks fan that I am, you can imagine my excitement about Hanks playing Disney. He did a wonderful job and I loved watching him as Disney. First off, he looked like Walt Disney and he did an excellent job portraying Disney as a perpetually happy guy. That said, I thought Hanks made Disney a little bit too nice. You leave the movie thinking, "Wow! That Walt Disney was a really nice and happy guy!" except…he wasn't. Meryl Streep pointed this out too, but Disney was not as nice as Hanks would have you think. A bigot and anti-Semite, Disney had some skeletons in the closet that the film does not address (then again, I wouldn't have expected it to.) Still, kudos to you Tom Hanks! You rocked it! 
Walt Disney (left), Tom Hanks (right)

I also wanted to praise BJ Novak and Jason Schwartzman in their supporting role. Novak and Schwartzman played Robert and Richard Sherman, the composers and lyricists for Mary Poppins. They had me humming, smiling, and tapping my feet throughout the film! They played the brother dynamic naturally and it was magical watching them bring such lovable songs to life! Great job guys! 
BJ Novak as Robert Sherman and Jason Schwartzman as Richard Sherman

Now, I also have to give a shout out to my man, Paul Giamatti. Sure, he had a supporting role as P.L. Travers' driver, but he was wonderful. So sincere, believable, and lovable…I just wanted to hug him. Alongside Tom Hanks, Paul Giamatti is another one of my favorite actors. 
Overall, I'd say that everyone should go see Saving Mr. Banks. It is a very cute film and it is really well done. It will leave you with a new appreciation for Mary Poppins, as well as new insight into the development of the film. Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks have such on-screen chemistry and their strong personalities are perfectly matched. It will leave you smiling. The supporting cast is also phenomenal. I will warn you, be sure to pack some tissues and prepare for some major emotional roller coasters, but otherwise, you are in for a treat! I can't wait to buy this film on DVD! Why this film was snubbed by the Oscars, I will never know, accept, or understand. Boo to you, Academy Awards!
*Note: I do not not own these images. They were taken from google!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life