The 1965 Selma Protests and Al Hirschfeld: My Recent Visit to the New York Historical Society (Part II)


In addition to "Lincoln and the Jews", I also checked out the "Freedom Journey 1965: Photographs of the Selma to the Montgomery March" exhibition, as well as the "Hirschfeld Century" exhibit. Both exhibits were really well done and very fascinating. 
Although I consider myself a Modern European historian, with a specific interest in World War II, I am fascinated by America in the 1960s. I love reading about all aspects of the 1960s. The social movements, the political culture, the Vietnam War, the counter culture, etc… I'm all about interconnected discourses and seeing how various elements connect to create larger moments in time. The history of the 1960s is perfect for that type of thinking and that's why it is a decade that interests me to no end. With that in mind, I was dying to visit the Selma 1965 exhibit at the New York Historical Society.
For those who are unfamiliar with the 1965 Selma to Montgomery marches, here is a brief summary: The three Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965 were part of the Voting Rights Movements underway in Selma, Alabama. By highlighting racial injustices in the South, they contributed to passage that year of the Voting Rights Act, a landmark federal achievement of the 1960s American Civil Rights Movement. Activists publicized the three protest marches to walk the 54-mile (87 km) highway from Selma to the Alabama state capital of Montgomery as showing the desire of African-American citizens to exercise their constitutional right to vote, in defiance of segregationist repression. (taken from Wikipedia)

The Selma exhibit occupies the second floor of the New York Historical Society and spans a small exhibition hall, as well as the hallway. The powerful imagery decorating the walls of the Selma exhibit blew me away. The shots were mostly candid and consisted of protestors and locals alike. It was inspiring to see photographs of black and white Americans working together towards social change, as well as seeing a plethora of famous faces including: Martin Luther King, Jr., Coretta Scott King, Joan Baez, and many more.
The Selma exhibit was quite small, but the photographs were absolutely stunning. If you have time, I highly recommend checking out this exhibit. I found it very personal and eye opening. There is one photograph in particular that I love and I feel that everyone should see. It is of Martin Luther King addressing a large crowd of Civil Rights protestors. It is in the small gallery and blew me away.

Once I finished the Selma exhibit, I moved downstairs and visited the Al Hirschfeld exhibit. Ok, I did not grow up in New York City, but I was born here and I practically lived in the suburbs of the city. With that in mind, I grew up with the art of Al Hirschfeld. My dad absolutely loves his art, so at a young age, I was introduced to his iconic almost caricature-like sketches and of course, I was taught to look for the hidden "NINA" in Hirschfeld's art. When I learned that the NYHS had just opened their Al Hirschfeld exhibit, I knew I had to go!
Rather snazzy entrance
A bit of an introduction
Where the magic happened
The exhibit covered his art from the 1920s up to the 1990s

Despite being a fan of Hirschfeld's art, I'll admit, I wasn't as knowledgable about his personal history, as well as his career history. I didn't realize that he had worked in the movie industry and created film posters. I also did not realize just how prolific he was in the entertainment industry. A true legend. I was also amused to learn that Hirschfeld's hiding of his daughter's name was something he did because it would go unnoticed. He never thought it would become synonymous with his art!  
Winston Churchill

I walked through the exhibit, admiring each piece of art, but more importantly, I did my best to spot all of the hidden NINAs. Yes, I may have looked a little deranged, studying each drawing intensely, determined to find every NINA, but I had a great time! Obviously, when there were crowds huddling around a drawing, I quickly moved along --- I don't want to be rude --- but I took my time where I could and I really had a great time!
Diane Keaton and Woody Allen in Manhattan
My Fair Lady

All in all, I enjoyed a really lovely day at the New York Historical Society. I got to visit three wonderful exhibitions, indulged with a bit of art, and enlightened myself with some history. It was a really fun day and I looked forward to returning to the NYHS for their next exhibitions! 
When you leave the exhibit, this hallway had giant posters of Al Hirschfeld's Broadway illustrations

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life